Rides from South Birmingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SonofSid

Hi, building up to LEJOG. Wondered if anyone has any good, long(ish) routes out of South Birmingham (B30) they would suggest or any a short drive away. Need some longer climbs - can't believe i'm saying that!
Thanks
Paul

PS - hope this post is in the right place...

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
Hi Sonofsid

Just get four penneth in, you are more than welcome to join up with the Sunday Beacon Club Runs which start from the Black Horse at Northfield.

Take a look at: www.beaconrcc.org.uk

Otherwise, what sort of distances or journey times are you looking for?

If it is a short distance with climbs, then you could do no worse than keep on ploughing up and down the climbs in the Romsley/Clent Hills area though that can become repititious.

Otherwise the nearest (long climbs) are not to be found until you cross the Severn beyond Bewdley and into South East Shropshire.

OP
OP
S

SonofSid

Thanks Philip, sounds perfect as I'm just down in Kings Norton. I saw that
''C' runs will typically cover 40 - 50 miles at an average speed of 12 - 13mph and include stop at a cafe."
Sounds spot on for pace and distance and will give us an idea as to whether we are ready to go out with the big boys. Doubt it - we're planning a touring pace for the ride and aren't kitted up like a lot of the riders we see out and about. This is a new thing to us this year.
Did I read correctly that the next one will be 16th May?

OP
OP
S

SonofSid

And thanks for the tips on routes. Just had a look at the routes for the 'burst' rides. They seem similar in demand to what we've been doing up until now, but perhaps more hills? We've gone Barnt Green, Studley, Alvechurch type directions but will try some of them on our own to get . Just need to up the miles now.

jimboalee

When working up to my LEJOG, I rode to The Kettle Sings, had a cuppa and then rode to the top of Barr Beacon.
I bought a drink from the shop on the Queslet Road and then rode to Fillongley via Coleshill.

Another nice trip is Stow on the Wold via Evesham.

A couple of weeks before my LEJOG, I rode to Towyn. Stayed in a B&B and then rode home the next day. It happened to be 205km from my home.

And of course my old favourite for a quiet morning ride.... The No. 11 route. Once round clockwise, have a coffee and a cake and then ride round anticlockwise.

Bridgnorth via Dudley Castle is not a bad ride...

OP
OP
S

SonofSid

Thanks for all these suggestions. Sound like some good ones. And I like the urban safari idea of the 11 route...

jimboalee

There is another 'nice' route.

Once round Birmingham's inner ring road ( Queensway ), take the A41 Northwest and once round Wolverhampton's inner ring road.
Back to Brum and then A45 East to do once round Coventry's inner ring road.

There is a bit of countryside on the A45 past the NEC.

Take it easy back to Brum from Cov by going via Meriden, Hampton in Arden and joining the A41 at the Solihull by-pass.

jimboalee

The Lickeys have plenty of different climbs to play on -short and steep to the bonk-inducing long climb up from Bromsgrove. I've spent the odd evening covering 30 miles up and down the hills.

Sensible now.

Yes, the Old Birmingham Road to the top of the Lickey is a corker for training.
Try it on the return from The Kettle Sings.

Go TO the Malverns after riding up Stock Hill ( Beacon Hill on the A-Z ) to warm-up.

OP
OP
S

SonofSid

Thanks Jinboalee, will try those.
I have now had all my shots in prep for the 11 route. Going to do it on Friday night from about 9 so I can enjoy the colourful locals as the spill out of the pub...

jimboalee

SonofSid said:
Thanks Jinboalee, will try those.
I have now had all my shots in prep for the 11 route. Going to do it on Friday night from about 9 so I can enjoy the colourful locals as the spill out of the pub...

No , no, no....;)

OK, if you insist. places to watch out for.

Wesley Arms, Acocks Green.
The Billesley.
The Grant Arms.
The House at Home.

Everything from the Kings Head, Bearwood, through Winson Green to the Crown and Cushion.

Witton Arms.
The Stockland.
The Fox and Goose.

Yardley Cemetery ( if you ride past there after dark ).

PS. The buses run from Bromford Bridge to the Fort shopping park and back. Seems a waste of effort, but it has to be done.

jimboalee

Philip Whiteman said:
SonofSid. If you don't mind urban rides, Alister of Birmingham City Cycles provides a couple of group rides starting from his shop on Bristol Street. There is a catch, they start very early on Saturday morning. http://www.birminghamcitycycles.co.uk/weekly-rides.asp

Keep you fingers crossed the wind is in the right direction as you ride past Water Orton sewerage treatment works.
Early Saturday catches a lot of Friday night Indian takeaways.

jimboalee

Another ( from way back ) is to visit the four corners of the OS Landranger around your home.

Or as many corners as possible if you live on the coast.

In our case, it's sheet 139.

Top Bottom