Riding a road bike on trails?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I ride my road bike on one of my local 'trails' but only when it has been dry for a while or is below freezing and has been for a while. Right now, after the rain of the last few days it won't be good again for a week or two. That track looks fine to me tbh (unless that is loose gravel/hardcore which has yet to compact down!)

This is the sort of thing that I ride my road bike on with 23c tyres.
IMG_0542.JPG
Part of the Whitegate Way - the muddy section is further along and that is the controlling factor.

IMG_0409.JPG
This dry was fine.

Kookas

Über Member
There's no structural reason for not doing this, really, unless there are drops in the track (seen that sometimes). I doubt the stresses are any different to riding on the road, to be honest. It's the lack of grip, and the fact it makes your bike mucky (usually reserved for MTB and CX).

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
get a 29er with front suspension that locks out or rigid carbon forks( like i have) - spare set of wheels, one set with nobbly's and one set with cycloss tryes/full on slicks

then if its horrible and muddy you can choose which tyre/wheel combo to go with and you get the added speed of the 700cc tyres, you also get the added plus of hydraulic disc brakes and flat bars if thats what you prefer

OP
OP
sheffgirl

sheffgirl

Thanks for the replies everyone :smile:
First thing is to try out the road bike, set how I go I think.
I like the look of this one:
jamis-nova-sport-2014-cyclocross-bike.jpg

Top Bottom