Riding a stage of the TdF...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

semaj

I've been thinking for a while that I need something to train for, had a few ideas, but thought recently due to the time of year, about training to ride a stage of the tour de France.

I've heard of people doing this on one of the pyrinees stages, any one have any ideas on how to go about doing this?

I understand it'll be next year now, gives me time to get my fitness up, and a lot of practice time.

Johnny5

One of my mates is doing the Mont Vontoux stage of the TdF in the next few day before the pros do it on Saturday.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The organised ride is the "Etape du Tour". This is well oversubscribed, and the only way you'll get a ride is through one of the organised cycling tour operators like Graham Baxter. Independent entry from the UK is virtually impossible these days.

You can ride DIY on open roads any time after the route is known (except the days of the Tour or of the Etape). The approximate route is published in late October (start/end towns, main cols), but the detailed route doesn't get released until about a month beforehand. It may be easier to select a similar stage from a previous year.

buggi

Bird Saviour
a mate of mine is doing the Etape this year (has done???... what's the date???) and another mate did the Tourmalet the day before the tour and then stayed in the area to watch the tour do it.

as said, you can do the Etape or just go and do a stage with some mates. i'm thinking about it for next year. thinking i said, not doing LOL

semaj said:
I've been thinking for a while that I need something to train for, had a few ideas, but thought recently due to the time of year, about training to ride a stage of the tour de France.

I've heard of people doing this on one of the pyrinees stages, any one have any ideas on how to go about doing this?

Read Paul Howard's Riding High for an insight into an amateur's ride of the TdeF route.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Riding-High...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248104167&sr=1-6

Top Bottom