Riding after neck surgery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not surgery but had two broken vertebrae as a result of an accident earlier in the year. Luckily has all healed by itself after 3.5 months with an industrial neck brace and am now starting to cycle again without too much discomfort.
Sounds like they have caged the disc/joint between your vertebrae and introduced bone graft which grows on the cage and fuses the vertebrae. That was also on the cards for me if the damaged disc between my shattered vertebrae hadn't healed!
I would suggest you give it a while longer before starting to stress the neck by cycling. An extra month might be frustrating, but maybe like my case the extra time will make all the difference. And i am only 45......

Sharky

Guru
Not quite the same as yours, but following a broken collar bone, lost mobility in the neck and shoulder area. I spent about a month on a static turbo before venturing out on the roads.

Wishing you a safe and speedy recovery.

No experience of neck injury or repair, but I can say that when I bust my elbow I tried a little bit too early to get back on the bike and crikey, did I pay for it that evening! Listen to the physioterrorist, listen to what your body is saying, and remember that even though it can be frustrating, it could be better to take a little bit longer to get back to full cycling fitness if it means you don't compromise long term healing and well-being. Heal well!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[QUOTE 5306642, member: 43827"]I know it makes sense, but I'm so pissed off about missing the best three months early summer riding weather I can ever remember.[/QUOTE]
it does do your head in. I missed a lot of planned/booked cycling events, activities with my kids and had a family holiday completely screwed up. The time really dragged, but now i am seeing the benefits of the waiting it doesn't seem so bad and while i still have a long way to go to be 100% and a couple of other injury issues still to be resolved at least i can see things have worked out ok and i am heading in the right direction.

i had my replacement bike hung up in the shed months before i was allowed to ride it and with the incredibly long run of excellent weather we have enjoyed so far I spent many, many days looking out of the window at the sunshine and then at the new bike and thinking 'if only!'

midlife

Guru
Just out of curiosity is your scar at the front or the back of your neck ?

Hope it's all sorted soon :smile:

[QUOTE 5306642, member: 43827"]I know it makes sense, but I'm so pissed off about missing the best three months early summer riding weather I can ever remember.[/QUOTE]

Ouch!

[QUOTE 5306861, member: 43827"]Scar at the front. But it hasn't spoiled my looks.:okay:[/QUOTE]

In my case they could have removed my whole head and it wouldn't spoil my looks:whistle:.

Top Bottom