Riding clipless since 1992, then two clipless moments in two days. The reason:- see inside.n

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Have toppled over twice in two days now, both when virtually stationary and both very and embarrassingly public.
It's happened a few times before. When I first went clipless in 1992 and when I was just a learner and once in Paddington Station (again very public) 1999, when a cleat retaining bolt had fallen out without me knowing and then a fourteen year gap until yesterday.
Went out yesterday with new pedals and put my clipless moment then down to them. I loosened, the left one (the culprit) off a bit and it made no difference. I has to unclip with my right foot, which is not, for me, the default.
Then it happened again today with some old pedals, so the problem was not the new pedals, but the cleat. Took shoe off and had a good look and saw that a bit of the cleat has chipped off: see pic..

DSC06509 1.jpg

So, new cleats required. Only, they've corroded in and there's not a chance of removing them. I tried and rounded out the allen bolts.
So, new shoes required. I already have new cleats - they came with the new pedals.
These:- http://www.certini.co.uk/Specialized-BG-Pro-Mtb-Shoes-p1428.html

I figured that If I'm going to spend a lot of time in them and I will, I want ones which are comfortable and pleasing to the eye: they are.
I didn't spend £180 for mine, but it's money I'd rather to not have spent at all, but for a chipped cleat.

Tim Hall

The cleat might be recoverable. <Warning tool abuse follows>
Apply Plus Gas and wait.
Wait some more.
Hammer a suitable sized Torx driver into the allen key socket
Give it some welly.

Alternatively drill the head off the bolt and remove the stub with a pair of mole grips.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
guys this is not helping me try clipless for the first time

I've had about six 'clipless moments' in over twenty years. This includes one today and one yesterday, which are attributable to a busted cleat. So that's four in twenty years, or one every five.
:wacko: Not bad really.....

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I've had my cleats in the same pair of shoes for about 10 years.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374788481.089754.jpg

They're immovable. On that shoe. On the other shoe I had a similar moment to OP when on of the screws fell out and I fell into a hedge when I couldn't unclip.

I bought a new pair of shoes this year but they are nowhere near as comfortable.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Those cleats will come off easy with the right tools, just don't try with a rounded old allen key. Hell, you can still see the writing on them. My approx. 10yr old cleats were worn wafer thin at the front. I had been having trouble unclipping for a few months then started randomly unclipping without warning. The best way to get the cleat bolts out of an old, worn cleat is to have a good dig in the head to make sure all the muck is out then tap in a good quality, unworn hex bit and then pray. All 4 of mine came out this way even after I had a good go at rounding one off with a traditional allen key first.

Lanzecki

Über Member
Drill the heads out and remove the cleat. The mole grips on the bolt studs.

Alternatively a bolt remover or backwards drill bits. A drill traditionally rotates clockwise just like the bolt. a reverse bit goes anti clock wise. You can see what happens here. A soaking in WD40 and maybe a little hammer action (3-4 seconds) and often said stuck bolt becomes unstuck surprisingly easy.

Try a motor factors for removers. Great for loads of jobs. Just like a tap and die set. You think you'll use it once. Trust me, it's worth the investment.

Top Bottom