Riding in North Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TurboVB

I'm considering a trip up to North Wales around the end of May however I'm not familiar with the traffic volumes I'm likely to face being from South Wales. My current route is from Newton - Dolgellau - Bala using the A470 and A494. The road network seems to force me onto these roads which will be the case for the cars as well...

I'm happy with the traffic on the A483 upto Llandrindod Wells and out of Carmarthen using either the A484 or A485 but wouldn't enjoy much heavier volumes. Anybody familiar with both places that can advise?

maurice

Not cycled it, but know the 494 between Bala and Dolgellau quite well. It's quite a fast road, wide in places and quite tight in others, especially toward the Dolgellau end.

It would be better on a weekday, but still not a quiet road. Looking at the map I can see what you mean about being forced onto that route, but if it was me I'd go out of my way to use the smaller/unclassified roads.

The A4212 Bala-Trawsfynydd road near there is quite scenic, again has some fast sections, but also a b-road network coming off it.

Hi, I'm native and there's some truly awesome riding to do and my best advice is to stay off the A-roads and stick to the lanes and see Wales in all its glory. There's some lovely riding around Bala lake, Vernwy, and where I'm from the Vale of Clwyd around Ruthin.
Hope you like hills and scenery. Hope you enjoy your ride.

meic

I live on the A485, nine miles North of Carmarthen. I am not a fan of riding on such roads and normally will tack across on all the small lanes. Admitedly this is slower as it involves going up hills and coming down hills but on twisty roads which you have to keep your speed down on.
Anyway the A485 gets progresivley narower and twistier which makes the HGVs feel obliged to make some murderous overtakes. This is a common problem with the Welsh main A roads. They are often too narrow for 2 cars and a cycle or car, lorry and cycle yet the majority of drivers will go round each blind bend at full speed with no expectation of such a possibility as a cyclist.

Top Bottom