Riding in Sand

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Out last night I've found a Byway about 6 miles from home, but on one section it turns to very sandy soil, the front wheel just dug in & the bike stopped, I tried several times to get going again, but in the end had to walk about 50-60 yards as it was just impossible to ride. Is there a technique?

Drago

Legendary Member
If it's that deep and loose there's nothing you can do, short of fitting catepillar tracks. Fat bikes are no help when its that bad.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Thanks found that if I dropped to the lowest gear I could just about inch forward but it was like trying to ride up a vertical wall, then the front wheel would dart off at an angle

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Out last night I've found a Byway about 6 miles from home, but on one section it turns to very sandy soil, the front wheel just dug in & the bike stopped, I tried several times to get going again, but in the end had to walk about 50-60 yards as it was just impossible to ride. Is there a technique?
Get off and walk☹

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Trying to ride through deep grass mowings is very similar, the amount of drag just saps your energy and brings you to a halt very quickly. If I can't punch through short sections of draggy surfaces using momentum I just hop off as I approach and walk it. It's quicker than running out of steam a few yards in then being forced to dismount anyway.

Top Bottom