Riding in schwalbe marathon winter plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annirak

Veteran
I’ve just gotten a set of Schwalbe marathon winter plus tyres. The tag that comes with them says to ride on bare dry roads for the first 40km. My village is currently covered in snow and ice. Do I have an alternative for riding in my tyres?

I’ve just gotten a set of Schwalbe marathon winter plus tyres. The tag that comes with them says to ride on bare dry roads for the first 40km. My village is currently covered in snow and ice. Do I have an alternative for riding in my tyres?

I missed that instruction when I got mine and just stuck them on the bike when it snowed.

I also missed the instruction that says you should use them at different pressures on snow and on tarmac.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Coarse sandpaper and go round giving the studs a good poke.
Riding them in is better, but not an option in Cambridgeshire current winter conditions.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran

As I understand it, that advice is there to make sure the spikes are properly bedded in to the rubber, and don't pull out when riding them on snow/ice.

I can't see any reasonable way of getting that effect without actually riding them.

Ajax Bay

Guru
As an early responder twatted: "100% this is in Holland"
Thought this thread could do with an illustration
1671118980720.png

Understand these used last Saturday. He was on slicks last night, but it was only just below freezing when we left the pub, and there's been no precipitation for the last few days, well, not in south of east Devon (low ground).

Last edited:

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
As an early responder twatted: "100% this is in Holland"
Thought this thread could do with an illustration
View attachment 671269
Understand these used last Saturday. He was on slicks last night, but it was only just below freezing when we left the pub, and there's been no precipitation for the last few days, well, not in south of east Devon (low ground).

I've been re-gifted one of the above from my brother in law as it didn't fit his bike

Put it on and had a quick few pedals round the cul de sac here and it half doesn't make a noise but I assume that noise will go away

And despite living in Scotland, we rarely get snow as I'm on the coast so I'm not entirely sure when they would come into use. I rarely cycle when it's icy after coming off years ago

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The noise doesn't go. I've go Snow Studs and Ice Spiker Pro's. Snap Crackle and Pop with the Snow Studs, insane levels of noise with the ice spikers - they make people turn round to see what the noise is on tarmac - these are an off road tyre though. Snow Studs are similar to 'winters'.

They are really useful on untreated surfaces, especially if commuting by bike.

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
I can understand why people who commute by bike would use them, I don't, I just don't see when I would actually need to use it (he only bought one tyre!)

Maybe the next time we have snow---cue a biblical Ice Age lol

Top Bottom