Riding Mt. Snowdon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Well, I finally did it! Bloomin' tough ride though!
A mate and I had a couple of days in Wales during the week, with Coed y Brenin and Harlech on Day 1, then, our main challenge, Mt. Snowdon on Day 2 up the Llanberis Path to the summit, then back down via the Snowdon Ranger Path.
Weather-wise, we did well. The plan was to choose the best one for Snowdon and the damper one for 'The Beast' at Coed y Brenin. I checked the Met Office 'mountain forecast' as it gives a more comprehensive guide to what it's like at the top.

Starting from the flat main road at Llanberis, it's certainly a baptism of fire seeing the initial bit of tarmac up to the remainder of the 4 miles 'off road' to the summit. Steep isn't the word for it! The whole ascent is classed as HC. with various bits of Cat 4 and Cat 2 thrown in for good measure.

Snowdon graph.png

DSC_2673.JPG

Whoever said it was 'all ridable' clearly has a sense of humour.. Mostly, the bridleway is rock strewn, with larger boulders scattered around to aid impossibility, well, for me anyway.

DSC_2678.JPG

There are some sections that have been cleared, but that kind of takes a it of the fun away, though it was a welcome respite from bouncing over obstructions all the time.
I did push for some ( :whistle: ) of the way and even carry up a couple of the steepest bits, especially the steps to the summit.
Even for October it was quite busy with walkers who were amazed to see the two of us on bikes and encouraged us on our way!

DSC_2687.JPG

We even got some waves from the train passengers.

As we got nearer to the top, the terrain once again got very rough, and the weather turned from mild and clear, to poor visibility and windy as we were, by this time, in the clouds.

DSC_2713.JPG

Job Done

It was actually a struggle to stand there and keep the bike, and me, from getting blown off the Trig Point as the wind was gusting at about 50 mph.
As it was busy, and about zero degrees, we headed down the steps again and sheltered behind a stone wall for a while to keep out of the gale. We thought about going to the visitor centre for a coffee, but in the end, didn't bother.
After a brief rest, we aimed back down, out of the clouds and into warmer weather, on the lee of the mountain. Our route back was via the Snowdon Ranger Path, another bridleway. It's not a particularly well signed path so I was glad I had my OS map with me to make sure were were not going off-piste.

The Snowdon Ranger Path is quite demanding after the initial few hundred yards as it drops down steep zig zags for about a mile. Some were ridable, some weren't! More bike carrying at a few points! (I must get a lighter bike if I ever do it again! :wacko:)

It was all going so well until Dev saw the next drop off down a gully...

DSC_2738.JPG

Once again, stunning views down the far side of the mountain.

When we got off the rocky path (yes, that's the path I'm standing on) we reached the greener bit, where we turned right over a col for a brilliant descent on a relatively smooth whoop back down into Llanberis.
When we reached the town, we rode a few miles alongside the lake there to spin the legs a bit, then into a cafe for some food and coffee.

If anyone else is thinking of Snowdon for a ride, read up about it before you go. There's a voluntary daytime ban on MTB's during the summer ~More details here~
It gets very busy with walkers on the Llanberis Path and at the summit.
Check the Met Office proper forecast for the area. You can have four seasons in one day up there.
My advice to myself, if I do it again, is use a lighter bike, ride it early morning in the summer and don't wait until the week before my 63rd birthday. :laugh:

All in all, the hardest ride I've done, but probably the most satisfying achievement.
And we only did 15 miles!

https://www.strava.com/activities/418063470

Last edited:
Thanks for that report, I will put it on my to do list for 2016 I did a bit of road riding around there earlier this year but did not consider off road up Snowdon it looks like a good ride for such a short distance.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Thanks for that report, I will put it on my to do list for 2016 I did a bit of road riding around there earlier this year but did not consider off road up Snowdon it looks like a good ride for such a short distance.
No probs. If you do do it, avoid the Rhydd ddu track from the top unless you have the skills of a Red Bull rider!! 3' wide with sheer drops down..

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

that sounds like the route I walked down about 20 years ago!
Is the track easy to follow?
I've not used the Rhydd Ddu but have seen it. Definitely not for cycling on though! Others may be able to give you better advice than me on it.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Well done you, as it is a tough climb! :notworthy:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Congrats, you've ridden one of Britain's most rideable mountains. Now for something far, far tougher, look at the traverse of High Street in the Lakes, starting from Brotherswater and heading down towards Pooley Bridge then doubling back along the shore of Ullswater.

PM me if you want the route details.

Top Bottom