Riding my new mountain bike from California to Alaska

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
What irks me more than any possibility of a wind up (I accept the possibility but take at face value), or the more plausible, "genuine yet so far just badly researched dream" actualities, is the almost inevitable appearance of the word "shaming". How very 2020.

If you want to see it as a wind up, that's understandable. If you want to help, that's admirable. If you want to attack the formers for "shaming", you're a nobber.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
What irks me more than any possibility of a wind up (I accept the possibility but take at face value), or the more plausible, "genuine yet so far just badly researched dream" actualities, is the almost inevitable appearance of the word "shaming". How very 2020.

If you want to see it as a wind up, that's understandable. If you want to help, that's admirable. If you want to attack the formers for "shaming", you're a nobber.

Oops up, seems I spoke too soon on the

"no ones getting het up front"

We're all just role playing here.

Mr Hobbes was in full on 'Sir Lancelot' mode, for a moment there.

And then tried dropping in a bit of youth speak for balance.

But it's all fine, we're still being resolutely lovely to everyone..

Including the OP..

Wherever she may be.. :okay:

CanucksTraveller

Oops up, seems I spoke too soon on the

"no ones getting het up front"

We're all just role playing here.

Mr Hobbes was in full on 'Sir Lancelot' mode, for a moment there.

And then tried dropping in a bit of youth speak for balance.

But it's all fine, we're still being resolutely lovely to everyone..

Including the OP..

Wherever she may be.. :okay:

Agreed, and of course I respect Hobbes, I just don't like to see "shaming" thrown about casually. Nobody is shaming anyone here as far as I can see, it's a careless use of a strong word.

Sharky

Guru
Christina, I hope you do return and let us all know how you get on with your bike. The learning aspect of such an epic will be the fun part, even if you don't do the full ride.

What part of California are you in - Folsom?

I’ve no problem with dreams, and fantasies, I just don’t believe that the original post is genuine in that a troll has signed up to do wind up. And it’s worked very well. Of course I could be wrong.
You see, here's the thing....
As far as I know if you think a post is trolling you're supposed to report it.

If that's not your cup of tea you can just ignore it.

But calling it out, in the manner done can only do harm if the poster is genuine. Harm to the op and potentially put other newbies off ever posting if they think they'll have to defend themselves.

If someone has a history of questionable posts, then maybe, fair enough. But this is only one post.

Somehow, snap decisions to the detriment of a "stranger" seems to fly in the face of what a bicycle "Touring & Adventure" forum should be about.

Referring to a poster as a troll or fantasist and a post as a windup are not positive descriptions in my book.

If I were to be accused of such things after making a genuine post, embarrassment or shame are emotions I'd be quite likely to feel.

In comparison to many fora out there, this one is particularly friendly and welcoming. I'd like to see that continue. If that makes me a nobber, so be it.

Trolls aim to spread discord and argument by throwing contentious issues into a previously sensible discussion. This troll has succeeded in generating a useful variety of ideas about low cost, adventurous touring and sparked a few people to consider doing one. Way to troll!

CanucksTraveller

In comparison to many fora out there, this one is particularly friendly and welcoming. I'd like to see that continue. If that makes me a nobber, so be it.

On reflection, I retract that word Hobbes, and I owe you an apology - I got heated only at seeing the word "shamed" which I have strong feelings about being overused in the wrong circumstances. Your general thrust I actually completely agree with, so I'm sorry for using that particular word. It was not warranted.

I think most of my trips have been in part based on other peoples endeavours and it has hit on my sense of adventure to do something similar to what they have done. When people like Christina come onto forums like ours I am only too happy to give them advice based on my own adventures. OK, they may seemly disappear, but they might well be lurking here reading and learning and maybe getting up courage to follow a dream. As far as I know there are no rules on this and other forums as to having posted a question on the forum for the OP to be required to revisit and join in the Forum chatter. All our chatter on here might well benefit others who read and think, “I would like to do that”.

Top Bottom