Riding perceptions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Two accounts of the same ride:-

So I nipped out on Sunday for what I thought would be a pleasant ride. I'd not got too far before some muppet of a ped. decided to stand in the road in front of me as I was waiting to turn left at the junction. Would he have done that if I was a car, I doubt it. Then 10 mins later another ped walked across the road in front of me completely oblivious to my presence. I so wanted to reach out and smack her round the head as I passed. Then after that, the normally empty prom was chock full of parked cars and I had to stay out wide and keep my eyes peeled, resulting in a number of close passes from clueless day trippers. Talking of which I had a few more of them later on, plus a dick at a rdbt who overtook me just before the give way and then braked in front of me, dimwit. Shame, it would have been a nice ride otherwise.

or

I didn't manage to get out until late Sunday but what an evening, absolutely lovely, with people wandering about in the fine weather looking relaxed. The prom was chocker with walkers and cyclists which was absolutely great to see and made for a lovely atmosphere. Rest of the ride was just as good, bit of a headwind going East which is unusual but a great ride and I really enjoyed it, might make the evening my preferred time in future.

It all happened, none of it made up. Which one is your reality?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Depends on your mood I guess. Sometimes the glass is half full sometimes nearly empty and its your round.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Depends on my intentions- if I'm out for a pootle then I'd see b. if I hadn't been out in a while and was looking to go b@lls to the wall for a blast then I would see a.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Depends on your mood I guess. Sometimes the glass is half full sometimes nearly empty and its your round.
Sometimes but not too often and I've never finished a ride wishing I hadn't started, except for reasons of feeling like a bag of crap, rather than being treated like one.

If the glass was full but is being emptied it's half empty, if it was empty but is being filled it is half full. I really wish people would work this out.

Edit: Not go at you Banjo just at this saying. If you had made a comment about a chicken and an egg i would have gone off on one too.

400bhp

Guru
It would very rarely be A.

It's about managing one's expectations. I wouldn't choose to ride in such ped infested areas, and if I did I would be prepared for it.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Which one is your reality?
Well, it could be either. That's the problem: every time someone makes a decision, the universe splits into two, and eventually the multiverse is just going to run out of room. So please, people, stop making decisions, you're just causing cosmic congestion (or is that indigestion?) :rolleyes:.

I generally enjoy my bike rides, so (fortunately) it's a rare one where I finish the ride still feeling angry at something that occurred during it.

The Sunday just past was more like the first one, there was a road race on apparently and the road was littered with idiots wearing aero helmets who have no regard for the rules of the road. Although some pleasure was derived when I went past a number of them panting up a hill on their full carbon bikes with their legs shaved etc.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

....As I came around the corner into the junction, he just pulled out. I saw him glance at me so I knew he'd seen me but did he care, no. I cursed silently under my breath and contemplated turning around to give him a piece of my mind. I knew the lights behind were on red, probably a waste of time though. If it wasn't him it'd be some other idiot who'd supposedly passed their test.

or

...As I approached the village centre I glanced over my shoulder, slipped into primary and covered my brakes. Sure enough, out comes a flatbed lorry cutting me up and a car coming the other way. It's always the same at this junction because of the bend. People can't judge the speed of the approaching traffic, don't see it or assume it's turning left to go to Morrison's, so someone either pulls out, begins to pull out or is stuck half way across. And anyone turning right is doomed to wait until their patience runs out, like this flatbed lorry. Luckily I was expecting it, though I wasn't expecting the trailer behind him which served as a timely reminder to not just expect the obvious

Top Bottom