Riding Position- Drop Bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
i have just picked up my allez sport from the LBS and its the first bike i've ever had with drops. just looking for any pointers or tips about riding position, and the angle of the bars; as it felt a bit odd on a test ride this evening

thanks

ajb

Hi, Surely the LBS should have "fitted" the bike for you when you picked it up.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
well they did tilt the bars slightly forward, and i said tht felt better but having come home nd put the saddle to the correct height it now feels slightly odd. also i dont know whether its kust bcos ive never ridden drops b4

Radius

SHREDDER
When I rode my friend's v nice Cannondale, properly set up bike, on the hoods, coming from a Ridgeback hybrid with bar ends on riser bars it was practically impossible to control at first...twitchy, low down, but eventually it got better and better, and I realised how smooth the ride was (but that was down to the bike not the drop bars :cursing:)
When I got back on my Ridgeback, I couldn't control it for a while, fat knobblies wobbling all over the place with their reduced road traction. I think you'l get used to it :ohmy:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
modern fashion is to have the brake hoods pointing slightly up.
I like riding on the hoods, rather than on the drops, but its horses for courses.

jay clock

Massive member
....and when bought it looked something like this....quite a difference in comfort for me as I ride on the hoods most of the time.

dodgy

Your new bike has shallow drop bars on it, so it's always going to be a different feel. Experiment with small adjustements at a time until you're comfortable and try not to slavsihly copy your old fit as that might have been wrong, too. If it feels comfortable, it is.

Dave.

ChrisKH

Guru
I have the same 'problem' with my Allez as I tend to use straight bars (well if you can call Brompton bars straight) during the week. I need to find the time to fine tune the bar position. Also being old and creaky I have to say I would prefer them marginally higher (i.e. more upright) than they are.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
took the bike out for a 15 mile blast this afternoon to try and get used to it. felt generally ok but was strainning a bit to get down on the drops, also was unsure of hand position for climbing whilst standing in order to get maximum sideways movement. apart from that the allez sport felt very nice very responsive steering and also very fast on the flat, would reccomend it to anyone.

Tynan

Veteran
I got my first drops early this year and the drops felt very odd and forced for some time, but little by little it's become my genuine comfortable position now, hoods seems very upright and half hearted

that said it is a fairly relaxed geometry, 'audaxey' is the technical term for the Fratello I believe

Randochap

Senior hunter
I don't believe that one should need to "get used to" drops. It isn't a matter of breaking yourself in. If you haven't got a good fit, you'll end up breaking yourself ... period.

The problem with most bikes these days is that they come with a threadless headset/steerer. This has its advantages. But, if the steerer is already cut right down, the only way to get the bars to right height -- and for the vast majority of recreational cyclists, this means at saddle height or above -- then you are never going to be comfortable for any distance.

Far too many riders (many who should know better) force themselves to ride in an uncomfortable position, based only on "fitting in" with convention, rather than fitting their own bodies.

Unfortunately, if the shop has cut the fork steerer down to the minimum, or it came from the factory that way, the only option is to install a high-rise stem. Any reputable shop should swap out the original without charge. It is not just a shop's job to sell the bike; it is responsible for making sure it sells you a bike that fits.

I also recommend reading Peter White's fitting tips.

On edit: The hoods are the default possition -- the place you will spend most of your time, if bars are set up properly.

Tynan

Veteran
yeah

I did get mine from Condor after a fit in store so I assume mine is set about right

and everyone can decide what suite them best, I like caning it a bit on my commute, it's short enough to allow pushing it and I assume that drops is the most efficent position if you feel comfortable?

Top Bottom