Riding trousers( not tights)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Cargo pants, combats work fine for me.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I do 99% of my riding in Levi 501s. Above about 30 miles they can get a bit uncomfortable so I wear either bib tights or baggy cycling trousers with padded inserts.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Anybody know any good ones not skintight but just normal fit

I bought a couple of pairs of cycling trousers from M&S a couple of years ago. They are comfy and have little hidden features like pop studs in the hem to keep them away from the chainring while riding, and a pop out reflective tab on the back pocket. Searching for them now unfortunately shows they are no longer in stock but they might be available elsewhere. https://www.marksandspencer.com/cycling-chinos-with-stormwear/p/clp22276661 shows pictures of them.

I bought a couple of pairs of cycling trousers from M&S a couple of years ago. They are comfy and have little hidden features like pop studs in the hem to keep them away from the chainring while riding, and a pop out reflective tab on the back pocket. Searching for them now unfortunately shows they are no longer in stock but they might be available elsewhere. https://www.marksandspencer.com/cycling-chinos-with-stormwear/p/clp22276661 shows pictures of them.
They were excellent - my favourite trousers for cycling round town, particularly if off to cultural stuff in times past.
They have been discontinued for quite some time.
The pop studs on the legs were excellent as you say.
Looking for something similar today I'd look at M&S jeans/pants with a bit of stretch in them and use a strap on the bottom of the legs.

Last edited:
Anybody know any good ones not skintight but just normal fit

I do have old bibbed tights and shorts but usually wear Montane excellent outdoor shorts with bibbed inserts out of my Humvee shorts if riding longer. Humvees are great but find my Montane comfier. I have also used my Inov8 winter running pants before too
I ride in whatever I'm wearing; jeans, chinos, cargo shorts... I'll put padded cycling undies on for rides more than 30 miles, but other then that, I don't do 'gear'.

wouldnt fancy riding up into Lakes in a pair of Jeans, rather have the ‘gear’ on that day ^_^

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ha... this page came up when I pasted your link... do you prefer the blue or the pink?
Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 10.26.34.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Another vote here for the Humvees. Bit pricey but brilliant.

The main problem with long pants is they will inevitably get oil on them.

Top Bottom