Riding Two Abreast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tom and I were once riding two abreast up a hill, on a pretty wide bit of road in Leicester, about 11pm (well, ok, he was giving me a bit of a push actually:blush:) We were hooted by a car that came past -although there was loads of room to pass. When it stopped at the next lights, Tom caught up with it and tapped on the window. The driver tried to ignore him until he said with great politeness "you haven't got your lights on!", whereupon the driver hd to try and put his lights on at the same time as simultaneously trying to thank Tom and ignore him out of embarrassment....;)

yenrod

:Riding Two Abreast

Obviously the bigger the better !

SORRY - wrong thread!

:biggrin:

Renard

Cab said:
The thing is, if they sound their horn, give you lip or whatever, just accept that you've won; they've seen you, they had to make room for you. Both of you. If they try to make a conversation about it, simply tell then they're wrong, tell them to look in the highway code. If they want to give you more lip over it, ignore them.

This is excellent advice and should be quoted every time someone posts about the grief they have been given in a similar situation. :tongue:

Baggy said:
Thanks Uncle Phil.

Slightly worrying that a driving instructor is getting the Highway Code wrong...

One of my neighbours is a driving instructor and he was trying to tell me you weren't allowed to ride two abreast, I told him to check the highway code and he hasn't mentioned it since. Don't know what his pupils pass rates are like.

I was on an audax a while ago and a bloke coming from the other direction was slowing down, sounding his horn and shouting 'single file!!'. He was the middle aged, driving gloves type and looked really angry that we might be obstructing any of his fellow 'Great British motorists' going the same direction as us.

I agree......

BUT

If I had been riding where the outside cyclist would be I am sure I would be dead by now.

Many many times I have had a car behind me who has not seen me and has sqeezed through between me and the oncoming car (fast A & B Roads).

If I had been in primary at that point I would be under his BMW.

No good being right if you are dead.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Over The Hill said:
Many many times I have had a car behind me who has not seen me and has sqeezed through between me and the oncoming car (fast A & B Roads).

If I had been in primary at that point I would be under his BMW.

Well, no, because one of the reasons for being in a primary position is that it makes you more visible.

So if you had been in primary, the "car"* would have seen you and no squeezing would have occurred. Or so the "CycleCraft" argument goes.

*Actually, the driver is supposed to have something to do with it as well...

Top Bottom