Riding with a suspected metatarsal stress fracture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went out running in the pitch dark and snow of Derwent Valley last night, and at 6 miles, my longest run to date. Not a lot for some, but in July last year I couldn't even run for a bus so enough for me...

My left foot has been in some pain and getting worse through the day when putting any weight on it, in a way that is feeling more and more like the gradual onset of a stress fracture.

Hopefully its not and its just bruised, the track back to Ashopton is a little cobbly in places, but there is a little swelling (only very minor yet), so going to get it checked out if it doesn't go away by the weekend.

Riding to work and back was absolutely no issue though - pain-free.

I love walking and am trying to get my fitness up for my first ever 10k in May so will be gutted if I lose a month's walking and running, but would be less gutted if I could switch to longer rides out instead.

With cycling shoes keeping my foot reasonably straight, would riding cause further complications?

OK, I should ask a doc, but I don't have one to hand right now, so the serious H,F&T section of this forum will have to do...:eek:

ASC1951

Guru
Sheffield_Tiger said:
My left foot has been in some pain and getting worse through the day when putting any weight on it, in a way that is feeling more and more like the gradual onset of a stress fracture.
..... Riding to work and back was absolutely no issue though - pain free.
I'd be a little sceptical about a fracture diagnosis, which would surely hurt on the bike as well.

I get something like this, normally in my right foot, when I forget to do my heel raising exercises for a week or so. It stops me running until I have done them for a week. YMMV, of course.

My first call would be my physio, tbh, rather than a GP.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
The swelling did subside so the fracture it would seem was a little OTT - though it was v. painful and swelling up for a couple of days.

£80 on a new pair of supportive shoes for what I now know I am - an overpronator.

The body is pretty good at sending out warning signals enough to stop before serious damage is done, fooling you sometimes into thinking it's already done! And with the pain there, trying a few things was a pretty good pointyer to the cause and hopefully the solution

Walked to work in them a couple of times instead of riding and though still "twinge-ey" (for want of a better word)

Hoping another week will be enough to be back running, with a lesson learned to take better care of my feet, and what shoes I run in (I'm not a lightweight so running is quite high-impact for me!)

Top Bottom