Ridley Damocles 06.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Hi there, thinking about buying a team lotto 2006 Damocles and just wondered if a 105 11 speed would fit it. It’s currently running dura ace 7800 and looks lovely but the gearing is ridiculous. The bikes going to be mainly winter use and sat on a direct drive turbo in the summer so I could do with 11 speed compact cranks. Just wondered if there would be a lot of work to change it over.

vickster

Legendary Member
Link to the bike specs? Eg bottom bracket. Not sure what wouldn’t fit but you’ll need a full groupset (maybe not the brake callipers). unless you‘ve already got all the parts and will do all the work yourself, might just be cheaper to get a different used bike with the kit you want?
You it’ll be a winter bike, you’ll want full mudguards, it doubtful has clearance for those, it’ll probably only take skinny tyres, also no disc brakes

is it this one? A 17 year old carbon race bike wouldn’t be my choice, especially for winter use
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/...o-road-bike-06-lotto-team-edition-/1409050843

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Dura Ace 7800 does look lovely and would be a shame to swap out.

I don’t know what cassette you are running, maybe 11-25t?

Would a lower gear cassette be enough of a change, it would be your cheapest option?

I have a couple of bikes which I’ve changed to 12-30t cassette and kept the original short cage rear mech which work fine. A longer chain would most likely be needed.

30t would be the max you can use with a short cage although you could use a wolf tooth or similar rear mech extender and go much bigger.

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Link to the bike specs? Eg bottom bracket. Not sure what wouldn’t fit but you’ll need a full groupset (maybe not the brake callipers). unless you‘ve already got all the parts and will do all the work yourself, might just be cheaper to get a different used bike with the kit you want?
You it’ll be a winter bike, you’ll want full mudguards, it doubtful has clearance for those, it’ll probably only take skinny tyres, also no disc brakes

is it this one? A 17 year old carbon race bike wouldn’t be my choice, especially for winter use
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/...o-road-bike-06-lotto-team-edition-/1409050843 in

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Why not just put a 10 speed compact crankset on? Over a winter I'm not sure you'd see much difference between that and 11 speed. Yes, it might mean changing to a 10-speed cassette on the turbo.

Raceblade long mudguards should fit for winter use.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Errr.. if anyone read the description, it's got a compact crankset on it already. So may need a new cassette if it has only say 23 or 25 largest sprocket, but then most gumtree purchases will need a new chain and cassette anyway.

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Dura Ace 7800 does look lovely and would be a shame to swap out.

I don’t know what cassette you are running, maybe 11-25t?

Would a lower gear cassette be enough of a change, it would be your cheapest option?

I have a couple of bikes which I’ve changed to 12-30t cassette and kept the original short cage rear mech which work fine. A longer chain would most likely be needed.

30t would be the max you can use with a short cage although you could use a wolf tooth or similar rear mech extender and go much bigger.

I’m guessing it would be a 11-25 with an old school standard chainset up front. Maybe I could throw a 105 compact in silver on to keep the aesthetic.

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Errr.. if anyone read the description, it's got a compact crankset on it already. So may need a new cassette if it has only say 23 or 25 largest sprocket, but then most gumtree purchases will need a new chain and cassette anyway.

Yeah I just wondered what “compact” meant in 2006. And yeah if I could get a 12-30t cassette on there I think my legs could handle it. I did say winter bike but it’s probably more appropriate to say “spare bike”.

Top Bottom