right and left brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k turner

help - which is which

the chap took them out of the packet and gave them to me free because of all the trouble I have had.

Now I have 4 very similar looking pads, and he said they have right and left on them, looked on the halfords site and cant find the model number, so cant find out which is which.

They have one V and two diagonal slits on.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Two say R on the left hand side and F on the right hand side
Two say F on the left hand side and R on the right hand side

If F and R mean Front and Rear, Surely I should have a right and left?

Yes I am blonde

shimano

hi blondie :?: - are the pads curved at all? ie slightly croissant shaped? offer them up to the wheel side that suits their shape best - have a look at the late great sheldon brown's brakes section on his website.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Croissant shaped, I've just come in late on a friday night and that sounds hilarious. Aren't most brakepads the rough side down?

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Yes they are shaped and I have decided they look identical so I am not worrying about the right and left that shop guy said. Just put them on and hope for the best.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

see squealing brakes thread ...........problem solved............they are fetching bike and giving me another more expensive one that wont to this hopefully...............delivering to me today.

fingers and toes crossed.

end thread.

bonj2

try ramming them in and see which way they fit best. if you get them the wrong way they won't fit.

If F & R and Front & Rear, then the ones that go on the right (offside !) of the bike will have R on the left-end and F on the right-end, the ones that go on the left of the bike will have F on the left-end and R on the right-end ?

Or think about it another way, take one, go to bike, place against wheel where the brakes are - the F should be towards the Front and the R to the Rear. If not, walk round bike and try on other side.

OK ?

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

You all really make me sound blond. I put them on, after watching the video about 5 times and pausing it about 500. My neighbour checked them and they were RIGHT ! Fancy that guys.

Anyway it didnt fix the problem so they exchanged the bike for a more expensive, lighter, thinner wheeled "normal" bike.

Which is what I wanted in the first place, so I paid in the difference, they built it and delivered it within two hours.

Got to my destination in 12 mins instead of 35. Got back in 8 instead of 12. Still not fast on the downhills coming home.

Thanks for the assistance. Case closed.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Halfords on Halifax rd. are we allowed to say that on here?

happy ending anyway, so they are not so bad afterall.

New one is lilac too. Basket fits on the front and there is space to put a back shelf for my triple pannier I bought weeks ago, but couldnt put on the other bike.

bonj2

k turner said:
Halfords on Halifax rd. are we allowed to say that on here?

happy ending anyway, so they are not so bad afterall.

New one is lilac too. Basket fits on the front and there is space to put a back shelf for my triple pannier I bought weeks ago, but couldnt put on the other bike.

NO! you're not...:tongue:
but sounds like they've done ok by you, if they voluntarily exchanged the bike, that sounds like they went out of their way a bit.
obviously got some good staff there, quite unusual.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

bonj - did you miss the bit where I said More Expensive. I had to pay double, but was my choice, they kindly obliged to take the extra money. But all's well that end's well. Even if my purse is a bit lighter. I'm a happy bunny now.

Just noticed it was you that asked the question!!!!

bonj2

k turner said:
bonj - did you miss the bit where I said More Expensive. I had to pay double, but was my choice, they kindly obliged to take the extra money. But all's well that end's well. Even if my purse is a bit lighter. I'm a happy bunny now.

Just noticed it was you that asked the question!!!!

hmm..
mechanical disk brakes are rubbish by the way.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

they are both V brakes first and second bike

the arms were bending on the first one, and if you pulled the brakes too hard the front one slipped all the way off the rim.

neighbour says these are much better quality.

Top Bottom