Right or Wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolf04

On my return commute I travel along a fairly fast stretch of residential road, which then curves sharp left past the entrance to a filling station, then leads to a junction which goes straight on or curves right. As I come round the first left curve I position myself in the centre of the road near white line, I indicate that I intend to turn right and cycle as quickly as I can to the junction and follow the curve to the right. It is not a hugely busy road but there is usually some traffic behind me. The drivers seem to fall into three catagories: 1. Wait patiently while I cover the whole 100 yards and turn right. 2. See my intention and undertake me. 3. Undertake while sounding horn and making non sensicle hand signals. The only alternative I could see would be to cling to the left hand side of the road and be trapped by overtaking cars. Am I doing something wrong?
:tongue: :?:

ChrisW

Not according to the Highway Code or any poster on this forum.

However according to your third category of car user, yes you are doing something wrong- you are riding a bike...ignore them!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Difficult to know without knowing the road. In similar situations I'd probably ride near the centre of the lane, rather than near the centre of the road. You'll probably get overtakers, but most will presumably be disuaded by oncoming traffic.

Tynan

Veteran
if there was room for car and bike to make the right hand turn I might position accordingly but otherwise, all sounds fine

killiekosmos

Veteran
I agree with your aproach.

Two points: if motorists were attempting the same turn would they not signal early to ensure following traffic was aware of intentions.

Second point, the difference in time between a car waiting behind you for a few seconds or driving at the speed limit for such a short distance would be only a few seconds, so no need for drivers to get agitated. If only more motorists appreciated that there is little time saved in any journey by driving badly.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Don't worry it is not you that's wrong, it is just that some driver don't think. They can't quite grasp the idea that you have just as much right to the road as they do and you need to be able to turn right as well as left.

Some of them even seem to think that if a cyclist wants to turn right, the cyclist should pull over to the left, wait until there is no other traffic coming, then walk across the road pushing the bike. Probable because that is what they were taught to do when they were five and they haven't grown up.

Alcdrew

Hairy Jock said:
Some of them even seem to think that if a cyclist wants to turn right, the cyclist should pull over to the left, wait until there is no other traffic coming, then walk across the road pushing the bike. Probable because that is what they were taught to do when they were five and they haven't grown up.

:tongue: So true.

The driving test needs a whole section on how to treatfellow road users, and that should include lorries,van,cars, motorbike and cycles. The main problem is unless you've been on the road without a steel frame around you you don't understand how scary it is when you get cut up.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
[quote name='Alcdrew][quote name='Hairy Jock']Some of them even seem to think that if a cyclist wants to turn right' date=' the cyclist should pull over to the left, wait until there is no other traffic coming, then walk across the road pushing the bike. Probable because that is what they were taught to do when they were five and they haven't grown up.[/quote']

:tongue: So true.

The driving test needs a whole section on how to treatfellow road users, and that should include lorries,van,cars, motorbike and cycles. The main problem is unless you've been on the road without a steel frame around you you don't understand how scary it is when you get cut up.[/quote]

Maybe all drivers should be made to cycle on busy roads for a year before they can take their driving test...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Wolf04 said:
Hairy Jock said:
Maybe all drivers should be made to cycle on busy roads for a year before they can take their driving test...

Controversial, revolutionary even, but it gets my vote
:tongue:

Another way would be to make people take the basic motorbike test before the car one...

Top Bottom