Right thigh really hurting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Knightly85

So I'm new to cycling, cycled around 110 miles in the last 10 days with one rest day. I've set myself a target of cycling 10 miles a day 6 days a week, I done my exercises and 10 miles cycle yesterday as normal and after I had my dinner my right thigh really started to hurt it's hard to walk upstairs when I put weight on my right leg. I did Google it and it said it may be to do with your saddle being to high, yesterday I did put my saddle up about 2 inches more than normal before I took my ride could that be why? I have been putting ice on it, massaged and stretched it I'm in 2 minds if I should go on today's 10 mile cycle or not I don't want to make it worse.

D

Deleted member 26715

110 miles in 9 days for somebody who is new is a lot of mileage, maybe you're doing too much too quick. Moving a seat 2 inches in 1 go is a lot, normally 5mm at a time I presume this is a road bike. When you are sat on the bike with the pedal at 6 o'clock straight down, how straight is your leg?

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

110 miles in 9 days for somebody who is new is a lot of mileage, maybe you're doing too much too quick. Moving a seat 2 inches in 1 go is a lot, normally 5mm at a time I presume this is a road bike. When you are sat on the bike with the pedal at 6 o'clock straight down, how straight is your leg?
I had the saddle set at 11.5 which meant my leg was slightly bent when it was in the 6 o'clock position I looked on YouTube and they say your leg should be straight when in the 6 o'clock position which is why I moved the saddle up. Yes it's a road bike, I also done 50 sit ups yesterday I just read that can also cause thigh pain.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
From couch to lots of exercise - probably overdone it.

Have you checked saddle height - pedal at lowest position, bare feet, your heal should just about be able to touch the pedal by the axel with your leg straight.

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

From couch to lots of exercise - probably overdone it.

Have you checked saddle height - pedal at lowest position, bare feet, your heal should just about be able to touch the pedal by the axel with your leg straight.
Yes but if I do that then it would need to be even higher than yesterday. When I'm cycling sitting down my legs are always slightly bent.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sore thigh does suggest the saddle is a bit low, odd it's just one side though. If saddle is too high, your hips would be rocking. Post a pic of you on the bike?
Are your rides very hilly?

Simply, you've probably just overdone it and need to rest ;)

Have a long brisk walk instead today if your leg doesn't hurt walking

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Sore thigh does suggest the saddle is a bit low, odd it's just one side though. If saddle is too high, your hips would be rocking. Post a pic of you on the bike?
Are your rides very hilly?

Simply, you've probably just overdone it and need to rest ;)

Have a long brisk walk instead today if your leg doesn't hurt walking

I do go up hill but I would not say it's a really hilly route. I'm still not that confidant on a bike yet so even when I cycle up hill I'm sitting, after I finish my 10 mile cycle i feel fine legs are a bit sore but nothing I can't handle. Cycling is not the only exercise I do so maybe it's not related to cycling, the pain is down the side of my right leg.

vickster

Legendary Member
I do go up hill but I would not say it's a really hilly route. I'm still not that confidant on a bike yet so even when I cycle up hill I'm sitting, after I finish my 10 mile cycle i feel fine legs are a bit sore but nothing I can't handle. Cycling is not the only exercise I do so maybe it's not related to cycling, the pain is down the side of my right leg.
IT band maybe (are you a runner?)

Just have a hot bath and a day or two off :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
No I don't run I'm very unfit, and my job don't help. I play golf but that's about the only exercise I get, untill now that it.
As above, far too much too soon :okay:
If you have a sedentary job, you probably have tight calves, weak glutes, tight hip flexors, tight hamstrings...trying to over use them all of a sudden is going to lead to pain (and potentially injury). You may well have overworked your quads on the bike to compensate for everything else not being right

Top Bottom