Rigid MTB - Ok For Cylco Cross???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

literally as the title says, would a fully rigid mountain bike be a suitable bike to use for the odd cyclo-cross session?

in not at all interested in racing cyclo-x, just want to hone my handling skills.

thanks

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Surely that would be a MTB session :?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
They have road size wheels, not mtb wheels.

The 'powers that be' are keen to preserve cyclocross as a winter off season 'road discipline', and not have it become lost in the wider morass of mountainbiking. Whilst they are tolerant of beginners using whatever bikes they like, they are adamant that everyone use 700c wheeled bikes for the higher levels of competition. Madison Ave would call it 'brand differentiation'.

trio25

Über Member
I did a couple of summer events on my mtb this year and will do some local events this winter, I think it is only when you get to national level that you can't use an mtb.

How well are you likely to do on a MTB anyway ? If you got serious, you'd buy a 'cross bike.

MTB's will weigh a ton by contrast - but will have better brakes.

I did some MTB racing 15 years ago and the idea was the course was '100% rideable' - if you had the skills...
Cyclocross however involves an amount of running with the bike, carrying it up and over obstacles.

Top Bottom