Rigida chrolux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neilka

Anybody any ideas on how to replace my old and rusty Rigida 27x1 1/4 chrome rims?
I've searched online, but can't find any to buy🤷🏻‍♂️

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?

midlife

Guru
Are those the chrome rims with the dimples? Gave an audible "weeeeee...." warning of impending doom in the wet :smile:

At least smooth chrome rims were silent lol

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Is it cosmetic rust or are the rims actually pitted and damaged? If it's cosmetic rust then you can use tin foil dipped into salty water to rub away the rust off of the chrome. Yes it sounds mad, but it works!

If you needed to replace the rims though, I'm not sure where you would buy some brand new, I don't even know if any one produces them anymore.

Personally I would try either ebay Kleinanzeigen, or have a trawl around the local bike shops for some old wheels. I don't know where you are in Germany, but where I live, we have several old school bike shops that are a treasure trove of old parts. I managed to find some obscure spares for my wife's Sachs Torpedo rear hub in one shop.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Are those the chrome rims with the dimples? Gave an audible "weeeeee...." warning of impending doom in the wet :smile:
But won't stop the trickle of wee when you know you're going to hit something :laugh:

OP
OP
Neilka

Neilka

Is it cosmetic rust or are the rims actually pitted and damaged? If it's cosmetic rust then you can use tin foil dipped into salty water to rub away the rust off of the chrome. Yes it sounds mad, but it works!

If you needed to replace the rims though, I'm not sure where you would buy some brand new, I don't even know if any one produces them anymore.

Personally I would try either ebay Kleinanzeigen, or have a trawl around the local bike shops for some old wheels. I don't know where you are in Germany, but where I live, we have several old school bike shops that are a treasure trove of old parts. I managed to find some obscure spares for my wife's Sachs Torpedo rear hub in one shop.

No, they are pretty well done for. I knew of the trick with tin foil, used it many a time, but only with warm not salty water!
I'm checking on ebay regularly, but no luck so far here in Germany. I do know of a classic bike shop in Münster, not far from me, I'll have a go there next time I'm in that area.

Top Bottom