rillettes miagre de canard gras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Davidc said:
Then vomit.

Check the best before date first, obviously;)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
philipbh said:
Check the best before date first, obviously;)
2014. I'm not sure that'd good or bad. I am reaching for the tin opener now, and will report back in a while. Or not.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
greuchgh! It smelt a bit gutty. And fibrous, like mineral wool, but dripping fat - when you squeezed it oozed.

Put it this way - the cat's not too pleased with his half.

Davidc

Guru
Uncle Mort said:
A canard gras is a duck that's been force fed to produce foie gras. The breasts ("magrets" in French) are supposed to be really good from these birds. And the rillettes are another by-product.
Interesting. Not my taste in food, French or otherwise, so not surprising I haven't come across them. I tried foie gras once, and did vomit, I can't undestand how it's considered a delicacy! I'm not keen on duck but quite like it cooked until it's crisp, Chinese style. Dell's description of the fat running out just confirms my thoughts. You're welcome to it.

Beans on toast is nice

Hilldodger said:
I've met him and he is.:angry:

I've always said that generous and kind Hilldodger bloke was very a perceptive chap... :smile:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
What's wrong with you lot? Rillettes are the best thing ever. I make huge pots of the stuff by melting pork belly and shoulder in lard for quite a long time and then going fairly mental with the seasoning. Have it very slightly warm or room temperature on very fresh crusty bread. With gherkins. Don't forget the gherkins - you need something zingy to cut through the fattiness. If you've got any more tins of the stuff, you know where to send them...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
dellzeqq said:
greuchgh! It smelt a bit gutty. And fibrous, like mineral wool, but dripping fat - when you squeezed it oozed.

Put it this way - the cat's not too pleased with his half.

I thought you were a man of taste? Rillettes are one of the great things in life - and one of the great ways of not wasting food. As Claud says you need a gherkin or three to cut through the fat, and preferably a large bottle of cidre brut or vin local too.

[edit: next time, buy a glass preserving jar, not a tin. Meat does not belong in tins. I don't know why, but all tinned meat tastes slighly odd. Glass doesn't taint flavours. Or even better, go for a potter through North-Eastern France.]

Top Bottom