Rim brake pad replacement types - Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheel_around

Hello!
Bit of a newbie question but my new road bike has dual pivot caliper rim brakes. As it's an entry level Trek road bike, I'm trying to improve the brake performance by upgrading the brake pads to try and keep costs down to a minimum. The stock ones are shocking, I literally feel I won't make it on a descent lol.
Seems like everyone and their mother is recommending Koolstop Salmon brake pads on the web, so that's what I'm looking, however I'm really confused with the type I need to get.

My bike has the "road" style of pads, so these looks just right and compatible, but they are quite expensive when comparing with other options like the "threaded stud" or MTB type of brake types, not only from this brand but in general.

The size of the pad on the non-road types is a lot longer and the bolt has more washers, so is it definitely not possible to use those on a road bike brake system?
An alternative to try and keep costs down would be to have the correct "road bike" type of shoe/ holder so I can just replace the inserts which are a lot cheaper but I don't seem to find those being sold separately for any less than they whole brake with holder + inserts in my first link.

Any thoughts? :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 18

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hello!
Bit of a newbie question but my new road bike has dual pivot caliper rim brakes. As it's an entry level Trek road bike, I'm trying to improve the brake performance by upgrading the brake pads to try and keep costs down to a minimum. The stock ones are shocking, I literally feel I won't make it on a descent lol.
Seems like everyone and their mother is recommending Koolstop Salmon brake pads on the web, so that's what I'm looking, however I'm really confused with the type I need to get.

My bike has the "road" style of pads, so these looks just right and compatible, but they are quite expensive when comparing with other options like the "threaded stud" or MTB type of brake types, not only from this brand but in general.

The size of the pad on the non-road types is a lot longer and the bolt has more washers, so is it definitely not possible to use those on a road bike brake system?
An alternative to try and keep costs down would be to have the correct "road bike" type of shoe/ holder so I can just replace the inserts which are a lot cheaper but I don't seem to find those being sold separately for any less than they whole brake with holder + inserts in my first link.

Any thoughts? :smile:
They are the correct type of brake block.
Koolstop do get good write ups, other makes are available though. Shimano make their own.
The others you mention are for V brakes and cantilever brakes.

If you do go for the brakes you have found, the actual block can be taken out when worn and replaced with a new cartridge, many makes are similar.
Have a look online or try your LBS, (local bike shop) or one Halfords or Evans.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
There are a couple of things you could also try to improve the braking performance.

Clean the road muck off of the rims, you'll be surprised how dirty they will be.

Take the existing blocks off and clean them, you will probably find small bits of grit and crud embedded in them.

Make sure they are adjusted correctly.

Sharky

Guru
The photo attached is of the rear brake. Could we see one for the front brake - something like 75% of the stopping power is via the front brake.

I tend to use fairly cheap one piece brake blocks and they stop fine. When cycling on familiar descents and routes, you just get to know the stopping distance required and brake accordingly. On the odd occasion when something unexpected happens (like horses in the middle of the road, just round a bend) and I have needed to make an "emergency stop", the rear wheel just locked. Which to me means that dual pivots and basic brake blocks are more than adequate.

I'm not sure that changing brake blocks alone will improve the braking by much.
If you push the bike and apply the brakes, do the wheels "lock" or continue to rotate?

OP
OP
W

wheel_around

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I decided (with the help of another poster) to get a cheap set that comes with the shoes along with the pads - which I may as well try out to test if they are any good but also when that wears out I may try just getting the Koolstop inserts. I wasn't very clear on the type/ dimmensions of the shoe and inserts and now I get it a bit more :smile:

If it's any good I'll report on here. Will defo try cleaning the rims too to see if that improves the performance

Top Bottom