Rim- internal wear indicator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

My rims are starting to look a bit worn and will probably need replaced soon. They are the mavic XC717 (non-disc version obviously!). I note on the blurb for them that they have an internal wear indicator. What is this? what should I be looking for?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Not sure if this is the case with your Mavics, but some rims have a small groove running around the braking face. When you can no longer see the groove, the braking face has worn down too much.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Landslide said:
Not sure if this is the case with your Mavics, but some rims have a small groove running around the braking face. When you can no longer see the groove, the braking face has worn down too much.

That's what I thought, but I would have thought that would be called an external wear indicator!

Yes the external line has gone so they are in need of replacing soon. Maybe I should buy some rims and try putting the new rims and building the wheel myself. I would need a good day set aside to do it, probably. That's the difficult part!

kyuss

Veteran
I think internal wear indicators are different to the method mentioned above. I found this on another place:

"Some rims like Mavic T520 and A719 have a small amount of material purposely removed from the inside wall of the brake track. The depth of the nearly rectangular "Rim Wear Indicator" is there to let you know the rim is worn beyond safe usage when there is a small hole all the way through."
So it looks like that a small portion of the rim is purposefully made thinner on the inside and once a hole appears the rim is shot. It kind of makes sense in a way as some folk might be tempted to carry on riding a rim even though the external indicator tells otherwise. At least if a hole appears not many people are likely to ignore it.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Actually, I just said the outside line had disappeared. Thinking about it, I'm not sure there was one there in the first place.

I might e-mail the manufacturer to see if they can confirm.

I'm sure there are only a month or two away from needing replaced anyway, so I better start reading up on wheel building...;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hmm. It would seem that Mavic don't want to provide contact details! ;) Does anyone have contact details for mavic or a mavic service centre that might be able to help?

What is the point of an indicator if you don't know what to look for!!

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
717's don't have an external wear indicator. they have a little 'nick' out of the ally on the inside of the rim that as the rim wears it will create a little hole in the rim that is visible from the outside.

If you are not sure if it has one. remove tyre, and look on the inside of the tyrewall for a little machined 'nick' out of the ally. Its normally very noticeable.

IME rims split before they wear through or break, and everyone should be able to spot a split rim easily. a very distinct line around line in the middle of the rim is what it will be

02GF74

Über Member
I use mavic rims and the rims have a little slot in the side - kinda hard to describe but imagin you were trying to punch a rectangular slot in the rim side wall but did not go all the way through to make the hole.

presumably onece the metal in the slot is rubber by the brakes, the rims are worn.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
For mavic rims, a small hole appears in the sidewall somewhere near the label, as stated by kyuss.
For Rigida rims, it's a bit more drastic, with a long slot appearing all the way round if you leave it long enough.

Every brand of rim does it a bit differently. Wear indicators are a legal requirement in Germany, so the first in patented their indicator method in an attempt to bag the German market.
I expect that once the patents run out they will all settle on a single method and the confusion will end.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
I'm sure there are only a month or two away from needing replaced anyway, so I better start reading up on wheel building...:biggrin:

Edinburgh Bike do a wheel-building course :biggrin:

I've actually been quite tempted to go on it sometime - I'd love to get the confidence to have a go at building / rebuilding wheels. Anyone on here done it ?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

goo_mason said:
Edinburgh Bike do a wheel-building course :angry:

I've actually been quite tempted to go on it sometime - I'd love to get the confidence to have a go at building / rebuilding wheels. Anyone on here done it ?

Aye I am tempted to do it. However, I'm supposed to be saving for a new bike......:tongue:

Top Bottom