Rim tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willam

Anyone suggest a good thin high pressure rim tape? My tyres are really hard to fit so the tape needs to be as thin as possible, or would veloplugs be a better option?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
How do you think a thin rim tape would make the tyres easier to fit?

si_c

Guru
Continental do a good rim strip that I've had success with in the past. It can be a bit of a bugger to fit, but it works, just be careful to make sure that you get the spoke holes centred as you're fitting it.

Of course the best rim tape is Velox cotton tape but it's far from the thinnest.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Can push the tyre down further into the wheel well meaning a tiny bit more give to get the tyre over the rim. It can be a tiny amount, but surprising how much of a difference it can make.
Exactly, took me an hour with the tape, removed the tape to get me home and the tyre went on in 10 seconds I couldn’t believe the difference removing it made.

The Velox was what I was using.

Thanks, I’ll take a look at the Continental.

Tom B

Guru
Velox. It's not trendy, it's not cheap, it's not lightweight, it's like old fashioned Elastoplast but it just works faff free.

But make sure you get the right size, too wide and it makes getting tyres on a faff. Make sure rim and tape are nice and warm when you apply it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Velox. It's not trendy, it's not cheap, it's not lightweight, it's like old fashioned Elastoplast but it just works faff free.

But make sure you get the right size too wide and it makes getting tyres on a faff.

It’s what I’m using, makes getting the tyres on and off a nightmare, i use puncture resistant tyres which don’t help, the wheel design also doesn’t lent itself to anything but very thin tape.

presta

Guru
But make sure you get the right size, too wide and it makes getting tyres on a faff.
I've never understood all the advice I see recommending that the rim tape be wide enough to cover the bead seats, every tape I've ever had fits between them, not over them.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

I've never understood all the advice I see recommending that the rim tape be wide enough to cover the bead seats, every tape I've ever had fits between them, not over them.

My thoughts too but I also guess just having the tape in the well, covering the holes, would impede the bead from dropping into the well (tho some wheels have more of a well than others)

Top Bottom