Rim tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Willam

Willam

I now use electrical insulation tape as well. Always have a roll with me as it can have a multitude of uses for emergency lash ups as well as rim tape if needed.
Probably a very good option, think I might try that, rode home yesterday without any liner, so maybe the recommendation of high pressure tape is not that important as I’m thinking.

Tom B

Guru
I've never understood all the advice I see recommending that the rim tape be wide enough to cover the bead seats, every tape I've ever had fits between them, not over them.

Exactly I got some a few weeks back that was a bug's todger too wide and got in the way of the bead seat. Even 150psi wouldn't seat the beat. It could only have been a mm or so holding it but holding it did. Left a pronounced bump in the wheel as it rotated with the tyre a tad out.... And made the tyre a real rotter to get over the rim. I'd initially put it down to being a new tyre and rim and an absence of talc.

It’s what I’m using, makes getting the tyres on and off a nightmare, i use puncture resistant tyres which don’t help, the wheel design also doesn’t lent itself to anything but very thin tape.

Make sure it's not too wide and make sure everything is nice and warm. Use talc, on the rim and on the tyre. I'm a big fan of talc and it's why my bike shed smells like a grannies dresser.

Last edited:
Top Bottom