'Rinko' components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I've had a bit of time on my hands recently and have been reading up about 'Rinko' bikes. For those of you who, like me 3 days ago, had never heard of such a thing, it's a normal bike that it optimised for partial disassembly. It's a 'thing' in Japan where bikes are not allowed on trains as a complete bike, and is based on the idea that the actual frame isn't massive, and if you break down the bike by removing the fork and wheels you can package it all up in a space not massively bigger than the frame itself.

There is quite a good guide here: - How to Rinko

I thought it might be fun to build one up - it would mean I could stick a bike in the boot of the car when we go away for the weekend without having to use a bike rack - but there are certain components you need that are quite hard to source.

The guide I've linked to shows a headset for threaded forks which you need a headset spanner for but you can get them that are optimised to use with an Allen key as a tool - such as this one. Obviously I can just use a normal headset and take a normal spanner, but this looks quite neat, so if I'm doing it, I might as well see if I can get a 'proper' one. The frame I'm thinking of using has threaded forks (and slotted cable guides).

Aside from that, I just need slotted cable guides (although I think you could use any old cable guides if you put breaks in all the cables), some cable breaks to allow the handlebars to come loose, and (optionally) a rear mudguard that splits at the bridge, which seem impossible to get in the UK but I might have a go at making my own.

So - does anyone know of a supplier for one of those funky headsets in 1" threaded, and has anyone built a 'Rinko' bike and how often do you Rinko it?

Reactions: C R

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I know of them. @hiyo may have more info as she is based in Saitama, Japan.

Interesting ! Although if it was me I'd just take my Brompton.

I can see the attraction of building a bike like this up though.

hiyo

I have done Rinko many times in Japan, on local train, Shinkansen, bus, airplane and ferry.
If your bike is road bike you do not need to remove handle bar and pedals.
Here is the movie that I learnt how to Rinko. (A Japanese speaker / The quality is a bit rough but helps you a lot.)

View: https://youtu.be/92erKluM5NU

Ostrich 320 is one of the most popular Rinko Bag. This bag has two inner pockets for wheels, make packing easier.
Amazon.co.jp: OSTRICH Road 320, Gray, Rear End Hardware Included : Sports & Outdoors

You also need an End Fittings for Rear to protect the Rear Dillerer.
Amazon.co.jp: OSTRICH End Hardware for Rear End Width 5.1 inches (130 mm), For Loads 4.3 inches (110 mm) Compatible : Sports & Outdoors

Mine is not Ostrich 320. Thinner and lighter with no pockets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks for the video @hiyo I like the little chain and cassette covers.

The frame I am going to use is an old mountain bike one; I think I am going to remove the forks so that I can get the smallest size, which I think will mean it will even fit in the boot of our little car (as long as the parcel shelf is out, I think otherwise it will be too tall) I have a folding bike for commuting by train, but I hope that one day when the parenting days are less intense I will be able to use my Rinko bike to get to picturesque locations.

So far I've dragged the frameset, some wheels (and one tyre!) and some handlebars out of the cellar. I spent quite a long time persuading the bottom bracket out of the frame this morning, and now I have this heap of old stuff with cellar rust on it.

As I don't need another bike this is just for fun so I'm going to try and build it up with as many other bits I can extract from the cellar as possible.

A threadless headset would be easier.
Can you fit a 1" steerer into sleeve mounted permanently in a 1 1/8" steerer where the sleeve has the steerer bearings.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Top Bottom