Rio Olympic triathlon *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
They're a bit quicker in transition than I am! Six minutes I took to get out of my wetsuit and on with the cycling shoes last week.

Other than that they are much quicker at swimming, biking and running.
As one of the coaches at my club is forever saying, you'll never be as fast at swimming, cycling and running as the pros, but you can (if you practice) be as fast as them in transition....

Well done the Brownlees. I really didn't know how they would go, given all the injury troubles they've had.
Now for the women's race. Can anyone beat Gwen Jorgensen? (I don't think so, but I think the Britons have a good chance of at least one medal.)

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
It was an outrageous 10k pace.

Girls up next tomorrow at 15:00.

Gwen is in the middle for the beach start, Team GB fairly close together on stage right. Hoping they can build a faster group and get a little headway on Gwen!

Come on.

fimm

Veteran
Well, I was right, but that was a much more exciting run than I would have predicted, and I certainly wouldn't have predicted Nicola Spirig for silver....

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Wow just caught up. Really disappointed Stanford and Holland wouldn't join spirit on a break from Jorgensen, maybe they just couldn't but it was the only way to victory after they all came out together on the swim.

What a finish though?

Sad to watch Team GB race each other for bronze, I'm sure they can handle it but it was the worst scenario after living and training together.

Spirig could have won it if someone had joined her on the bike, and for a while it looked like she might break Gwen...not to be!

Great race though. :smile:

Tommy2

Über Member
I caught the last half of the run, Gwen and Nicola playing games was bizarre, not something I've seen before in triathlon especially not on the run, has anyone seen any interviews about what they were saying to each other?

It was a shame when Gwen decided to put her foot down and spirig just couldn't match it, but I suppose it's better to go steady for silver than try to chase for gold and blow up, but you could see Gwen was really working hard.

I think that was the same thinking for Stanford and Holland, don't think they could have guaranteed keeping up with Gwen.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I caught the last half of the run, Gwen and Nicola playing games was bizarre, not something I've seen before in triathlon especially not on the run, has anyone seen any interviews about what they were saying to each other?

It was a shame when Gwen decided to put her foot down and spirig just couldn't match it, but I suppose it's better to go steady for silver than try to chase for gold and blow up, but you could see Gwen was really working hard.

I think that was the same thinking for Stanford and Holland, don't think they could have guaranteed keeping up with Gwen.

Indeed Gwen put in her fastest run split to close it out.

fimm

Veteran
I think Spirig was going back to Stanford and Holland and they might have caught her on their more even pace - but they didn't.
I think Vicky said that the first thing she said to Non was "I'm so sorry....". Non seemed able to be happy for Vicky immediately post-race, fairly philosophical; I think she'll feel she has another chance in 4 years.

Top Bottom