RIP Brian Robinson, age 91

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The first British Tour de France finisher and stage winner has died at the age of 91. A life well-lived is how I’d describe him; he had time for anyone and was always enthusiastic. I had the pleasure of knowing Brian for about 10 years as we were in the same cycling club and out on rides together quite frequently. I will always remember him sat with son no. 2 on his first club ride, at the age of 9, when he struggled keeping up; “you’ll do alright, lad” was Brian’s comment. And he spent time encouraging him whenever they met on rides or in the café within their LBS.

He was part of Yorkshire getting the Tour de France back in 2014. Two TDF stage wins (1958, 1959), Criterium du Dauphiné winner and more.

Ned Boulting did an interview with him here. And yes, I'm in this one along with son. no. 2 (and we're back in part 2 of the video):

Brian, you’ll be missed.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A real groundbreaker at a time when British riders were a rarity in European pro ranks.

One thing that sticks in my mind was how he learnt to speak French - he'd learn one phrase a day and keep going over it till he'd perfected it. That method has managed to give me a smattering of Welsh.

normgow

Guru
I saw Brian Robinson in an International Omnium at Herne Hill Track in 1959 together with Fausto Coppi, Rik van Steenbergen, Fred deBruyne, André Darrigade, Raphaël Geminiani and John Geddes.
A friend's older brother regaled us twelve-year olds with tales of Brian's epics in the Tour de France. I was hooked and have been ever since.
RIP Brian Robison a real Pathfinder for those who came later.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Today's cyclists might not appreciate the difficulties riders like Robinson, Simpson and Hoban faced in joining the continental pro peloton back then. There was absolutely no support network, they were thrown in at the deep end and had to learn the language at a time when foreign travel was unheard of for most people. They were shown no mercy by their fellow pros and had to prove themselves before they were accepted as equals, it really was a case of sink or swim. Only the very toughest survived, and only the very best thrived.

normgow

Guru
Graham Fife's book "Brian Robinson - Pioneer" tells the whole story from boyhood to riding in top teams of the day.
Well worth reading to appreciate just how much B.R achhieved and the effort needed.

Top Bottom