RIP Chester Barnes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Passed away last Friday.
A great player who stopped playing far too soon, but was an inspiration to many a player.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Rugby League?🤔

matiz

Guru
He was very well known in horseracing circles having been a assistant to Martin and David Pipes stables in Somerset for many years when he stopped playing ,he was a very shrewd gambler and pulled off a few big price betting coups over the years.

Chester Barnes was a friend and England team-mate of Stuart Gibbs, who was my table tennis coach at Brentwood TTC.
Chester Barnes popped in on several occasions to play an exhibition game with Stuart, and to coach us younger players, too.
I remember he had a square tt bat (the standard was roundish) and I really liked it.
He heard me talking to a friend that I was going to buy one as soon as I’d saved up my pocket-money, and after signing the handle, he gave me the bat. 🙂
Top player and good person.

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Chester Barnes was a friend and England team-mate of Stuart Gibbs, who was my table tennis coach at Brentwood TTC.
Chester Barnes popped in on several occasions to play an exhibition game with Stuart, and to coach us younger players, too.
I remember he had a square tt bat (the standard was roundish) and I really liked it.
He heard me talking to a friend that I was going to buy one as soon as I’d saved up my pocket-money, and after signing the handle, he gave me the bat. 🙂
Top player and good person.
I worked in Brentwood for a few years and played (not at a high standard) for the Hambros team occasionally.
Chester Barnes was synonymous with table tennis, as was Reg Harris & cycling, Stirling Moss & motor racing etc. I read his book a while back and I think he was a bit rebellious and fell out with the officials occasionally and eventually left the sport.

matiz

Guru
I had only ever heard of two table tennis players Chester and Desmond Douglas who was quite big in my youth , I don't know if they were rivals.

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
I had only ever heard of two table tennis players Chester and Desmond Douglas who was quite big in my youth , I don't know if they were rivals.
DD came a bit later, after CB.

You must have heard of more than two table tennis players - Fred Perry, Mathew Syed, now a journalist and Will Bayley who was on Strictly!

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Chester was my hero when I was in my school's table tennis team.
I used to play with a Chester Barnes bat which was quite innovative at the time (1968) being square shaped and smooth faced.

Top Bottom