RIP Chris Anker Sørensen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Listening to reports it appears that Chris was riding by himself on a cycle path and rode into the side of the van. This is supposition on my part. In Denmark if you are on a cycle path the cyclist usually has priority unless there is a give way sign on the cycle path when you get to junctions. This would be the norm for Chris. I do not know if this is the case in Belgium. If the vehicles have priority over cycles when crossing cycle paths . It is easy for me to see how this accident could have happened and how the driver may not be to blame.
In Belgium, it varies. Generally, cyclists get the same priority as the road they're parallel to, or if it's a cycleway alone then it gets priority over minor roads but yields to National roads. But some junctions don't follow the rules.

So you'd have to know the junction, pretty much. It's still rather surprising and, of course, a great shame. May he rest in peace.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Can’t find specific details, I understand a van didn’t see him near a junction. :sad:
According to HLN, he failed to give way where a cycle track crossed the road
Here: https://goo.gl/maps/qCLTYd7KFqzQEVEA9 (streetview)

Top Bottom