RIP David Bellamy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Character, no doubt. Gwubbing awound in muck much of the time, I recall with a smile.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Oh no!

I had organised one of the acts at Fife Aid in a country park near St Andrews in the 80s. Walking up to one of the stages, I got a fleg when David Bellamy literally popped out of a hedge a few feet in front of me. He said he'd seen some kind of butterfly and for the next 15 minutes I helped him look for it - in vain. A really nice guy, we chatted about conservationism and how he hated seeing hedgerows destroyed.

Drago

Legendary Member
Back then the evidence was more ambiguous, and the behaviour of certain establishments, such as the University of Essex, in manipulating data to suit their favoured outcome didn't help. Either way, it had nothing to do with his tv role but the Beeb dropped him like a hot potato for simply having an unfashionable opinion. Yet they still give Flat Earthers space in their news coverage...

I can't wait until the British Broadcasting Communists have the licensing rug pulled from under them.

Last edited:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Back then the evidence was more ambiguous, and the behaviour of certain establishments, such as the University of Essex, in manipulating data to suit their favoured outcome didn't help. Either way, it had nothing to do with his tv role but the Beeb dropped him like a hot potato for simply having an unfashionable opinion. Yet they still give Flat Earthers space in their news coverage...

I can't wait until the British Broadcasting Communists have the licensing rug pulled from under them.
If it was just the BBC dropping him he would have turned up on ITV/Channel4 - but he didn't. I don't think blaming the BBC is fair or valid here, there was obviously more to it

Drago

Legendary Member
Occam's Razor - there's no evidence of a wider conspiracy, therefore there probably was not.

The Beeb did the same with others who aired the same view, including the aforementioned Johnny Ball, and he did crop up occasionally on other channels after that...bit only occasionally. The independent broadcasters aren't by and large interested in elderly BBC cast offs from another generation, when they have groomed their own younger placeholders.

Yet the Beeb give impartial news coverage to flat earthers, illuminati conspiracy theorists, and even those that think Hitler escaped Germany at the end of the war.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If it was just the BBC dropping him he would have turned up on ITV/Channel4 - but he didn't. I don't think blaming the BBC is fair or valid here, there was obviously more to it
He would have been 69 in 2000, he was probably just no longer the image they were looking for to present these programmes. TV is a fickle business.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
He would have been 69 in 2000, he was probably just no longer the image they were looking for to present these programmes. TV is a fickle business.
It is, but I think David Attenborough is still wheeled out occasionally (one of my heroes). Mostly in repeats but he's still quite old in them.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Very sad, iconic naturalist.. He dared to call out the experts on climate change and was shunned after that.

I think he was about right, but you cant tax a nation without hype and hysteria :whistle:

Top Bottom