RIP George 'Johnnie' Johnson

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
They had a piece about him on Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 show.

Sounded like a character for sure rip

I read about the Dambusters Raid in a compilation book called 'Adventure Stories for Boys' many years ago, I thought it was made up. Several years later I found out it was real and I'm not sure if I'm happier or sadder about that

RIP.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have seen the film dozens of times. It a go to film on a cold winters afternoon. I used to park up outside of RAF Scampton where the Dambusters were based and watch the Red Arrows train as they were based there in the early 80s. The Avro Vulcans used to land there. That was a sight. I also visited the dams in Germany when I was stationed in Hannover.

RIP Squadron Leader Johnson. Your duty is over.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Some of the practice for the raid was done at Ladybower Reservoir, as it was similar to the Ruhr Dam approach, in The Peak District. Also off Whitstable and Herne Bay.

RIP Squadron Leader Johnson MBE DFM

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Some of the practice for the raid was done at Ladybower Reservoir, as it was similar to the Ruhr Dam approach, in The Peak District. Also off Whitstable and Herne Bay.

RIP Squadron Leader Johnson MBE DFM

About twenty years ago we walked round the dams, there's a memorial to 617, but considering the significance it was quite small as I remember it.

Parking was murder as well.

PeteXXX

About twenty years ago we walked round the dams, there's a memorial to 617, but considering the significance it was quite small as I remember it.

I cycled there, and around it. Unfortunately I was a day late for a flypast by a Lancaster bomber 😔

Petrichorwheels

Can i ask what the memorial said? Put there by brits? I ask as I wondered about the reactions of german locals. Many drowned of course.
I stress that I'm not dissing the air crews. All heroes. And was total war against evil.

I'm sure I read somewhere that stuff like this would now be a War Crime - but it wasn't then.
101 seems a bloody good innings.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Hero - a much misused term nowadays, but it applies to him, and the others, without a doubt.
Only 11 of the 19 planes made it back. Before reading "Operation Chastise" (great name for it, very British - like saying Hitler was a really naughty boy!) I had assumed that the bomber crews were the creme de la creme, but for some it was their first mission.

PeteXXX

Screenshot_20221209-094958~2.png

This is the Derwent memorial. I can't find a photo of the Ladybower one, though.

Top Bottom