Rip Gerald Sinstadt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Loved seeing that tribute before the England game. One of the most memorable voices of football.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A north west football commentator legend indeed! He interviewed me once at my then place of work regarding Blackburn Rovers chances of winning the Premier League, before they eventually won it in 1995. It wasn't broadcast as I suppose they interviewed many and could only show a few, but I was still interviewed by a north west football legend!!:becool:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On about my interview with Gerald Sinstadt in 1995, regarding Blackburn's future winning of the Premiership, by coincidence i bought this in a charity shop this aft'. I presume this print was made to commemorate their title, or just before they won it.

1636749507534.png

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
On about my interview with Gerald Sinstadt in 1995, regarding Blackburn's future winning of the Premiership, by coincidence i bought this in a charity shop this aft'. I presume this print was made to commemorate their title, or just before they won it.

View attachment 617495
Indeed. Its a pity shearer in the print looks like he has just been a couple rounds with an in form Mike Tyson...

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member

View attachment 617495
Is that from when Jack Walker bought the title, and the next season the champions were beaten at Burnden Park in the second game? 😂

Mind you the amount that he spent now looks like the kind of thing that some of today's owners lose down the side of the settee.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Is that from when Jack Walker bought the title, and the next season the champions were beaten at Burnden Park in the second game? 😂

Mind you the amount that he spent now looks like the kind of thing that some of today's owners lose down the side of the settee.
Fair point, he did buy the title, but Wolves and Derby also had super wealthy 'sugar daddies' at the same time, but they didn't spend wisely like Rovers did. :okay: In a way Jack Walker was/is to blame for the huge spending in the Premiership these days. The 'top six' had to throw much more at their teams to compete with 'those town team upstarts from east Lancashire', than they did before Rovers came along, so the 'let's spend more than the others no matter how much' came into force.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Fair point, he did buy the title, but Wolves and Derby also had super wealthy 'sugar daddies' at the same time, but they didn't spend wisely like Rovers did. :okay: In a way Jack Walker was/is to blame for the huge spending in the Premiership these days. The 'top six' had to throw much more at their teams to compete with 'those town team upstarts from east Lancashire', than they did before Rovers came along, so the 'let's spend more than the others no matter how much' came into force.
I did used to blame him a bit, but Chelsea took it to another level and then the Premier League became a toy for mega rich owners.

It was good watching them win the title though, especially as I was in a pub full of man u fans at the time. 😂

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

View attachment 617495
As soon as I saw the print I named all but one of the players and Kenny Dalglish the manager. The one I couldn't and still can't get is top right as you look at the picture. 🤔

I've just dug out 2 of my old Rovers shirts. The one on the left which they're wearing in the print is from the first season in the newly formed Premier League, so the print must be from 1992/93. The one on the right is the same as the title winning shirt, but from the season after hence the 'champions' embroidery below the badge.

1636854386141.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom