RIP Graham Taylor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I met him a couple of times (at Watford FC social events) and you couldn't have met a nicer bloke. He was the best manager we ever had and I will be respectfully applauding him at our home game on Saturday. RIP GT.

gavgav

Guru
Out of his depth in the England job (He's far from alone in that) but a very good club manager and always came across as a thoroughly decent bloke. His treatment by the press was cruel and savage, some of those who covered the England side at that time were nothing more than pure scum.
Spot on

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Could never understand how he got the nick name Turnip head

As others have said he looked to be one of the many England Managers that the press disliked for no real reason

Real football man, came through the grassroots, had his playing career cut short but went on to be a top class manager. His achievements with Watford were amazing. RIP.

AndyRM

XOXO
The reason is clear. Build them up, knock them down, it sells papers.

5live were discussing this last night, and they had a journo on from then who thought the turnip thing was quite funny, and that managers since hadn't suffered nearly as badly since the vicious "circulation wars" had all but disappeared. I'm not sure either of those things is true, especially when you consider the comments about Steve McClaren and the digging into Eriksson's personal life, to name just two examples.

It's a funny old game...

Being ridiculed by the press is generally part of the game in such a public role. However when they showed pictures of his young kids and ridiculed them by association, that was an absolute disgrace. Someone should have been prosecuted for that.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I met him a couple of times (at Watford FC social events) and you couldn't have met a nicer bloke. He was the best manager we ever had and I will be respectfully applauding him at our home game on Saturday. RIP GT.
Best manager Lincoln City ever had, too, before Elton John made him an offer he couldn't refuse! RIP, Graham, you left us many treasured memories.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
He probably had his worst time in domestic football management when he managed my lot BUT I still believe he should have stayed and would have taken us up ...
He gave a friend of mine , Dennis Pearce , his professional debut for Wolves and he says he was probably the best manager he ever played for , and he played for a lot believe you me!
That's says it all....
RIP Graham !

Last edited:
Top Bottom