RIP June Brown aka Dot Cotton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sadly the great actress that played the chain smoking, dispenser of home truths and launderette manager in the soap EastEnders has died at the age of 95.
Whether you were an EastEnders fan or not you can't help but of heard of Dot.
She was absolutely wonderful in the part she played for 35 years.

Last edited:
or not you can't help but of heard of Dot
DI Matthew "Dot" Cottan in Line of Duty.
https://lineofduty.fandom.com/wiki/Matthew_Cottan
;-)

AndyRM

XOXO
Sadly the great actress that played the chain smoking, dispenser of home truths and launderette manager in the soap EastEnders has died at the age of 95.
Whether you were an EastEnders fan or not you can't help but of heard of Dot.
She was absolutely wonderful in the part she played for 35 years.

Well, I have now.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Her son in the program 'Nick Cotton' played by John Altman was on the radio yesterday saying he'd only just heard the news. He did sound genuinely upset. For me, he was/is the best character the show has had. I haven't watched it for about 15 years by the way.:smile:

1649113658286.png

She was also in Gormenghast which I've still not got around to watching.

The wonderfully named Nanny Slagg!

p04sy0kc.jpg

Her son in the program 'Nick Cotton' played by John Altman was on the radio yesterday saying he'd only just heard the news. He did sound genuinely upset. For me, he was/is the best character the show has had. I haven't watched it for about 15 years by the way.:smile:
I watch it very infrequently but Dot's grandaughter called 'Dotty' is now in it, the show is show is so miserable though I only put it on when I'm feeling down so as to see it could be worse!

Last edited:

PaulB

Legendary Member
I met June Brown in June 1998 during the World Cup. I'm not saying the World Cup had anything to do with it, just that it was on at the time.

She was staying with Michelle Collins and comedy actor Keith Baron in a hotel near Leeds airport. Michelle Collins was sitting on her own in a crowded bar watching Scotland on the telly. I went over and asked Collins if she wanted to come and sit with us as me apart, none of the lads I was sitting with were British so they wouldn't know her so she did and was first rate company...until June Brown came along the corridor and called out Michelle's name expecting her to run over to her, but she didn't. Brown was to annoy one of our group, a Chicagoan called Bill who on being informed she played a cantankerous old lady in a TV soap opera, said she wasn't cast out of character.

Last edited:
I met June Brown in June 1998 during the World Cup. I'm not saying the World Cup had anything to do with it, just that it was on at the time.

She was staying with Michelle Collins and comedy actor Keith Baron in a hotel near Leeds airport. Michelle Collins was sitting on her own in a crowded bar watching Scotland on the telly. I went over and asked Collins if she wanted to come and sit with us as me apart, none of the lads I was sitting with were British so they wouldn't know her so she did and was first rate company...
Great story!

(either you were being incredibly thoughtful there ... or you found a great way to get an hour of Michelle Collins' company. :P )

PaulB

Legendary Member
Great story!

(either you were being incredibly thoughtful there ... or you found a great way to get an hour of Michelle Collins' company. :P )
They were all appearing in a TV courtroom drama thing at the time called 'Verdict' which was being filmed in Leeds. Collins and Brown were then taking a break from Eastenders and you could tell she wanted someone to speak to her without calling her by the name of her TV character. I was attending a medical conference at the exhibition centre in Harrogate at the time and the people I was with were German, Dutch and two Americans so it seemed a good deal for everyone - they had no idea who she was and she got to sit in our company. She tried to buy us a round but we refused to let her.

Top Bottom