RIP Niki Lauda

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Can't say it's a shock he spent Christmas in hospital after being flown home, he's not been on the pit wall all year, it's more like inevitable rather than a shock, but it doesn't make it any better. It's a big loss to the sport.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Aw, that's a shame. I really enjoyed his straight talking style when interviewed on the grid, he didn't trundle out the predictable non-commital stuff of other team bosses.

Didn't he have a double lung transplant recently?

tyred

Legendary Member
RIP.

I am too young to remember him racing and have lost interest in F1 in recent years but when I did watch, I always enjoyed his insights and his ability to tell it exactly as he saw it without PR nonsense.

A truely inspirational character who overcame serious injuries and never gave in.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Weird what turns up at times.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Aww, poor Niki. He was boss.

He made the sport of car-pointing interesting. Both by being bloody good at it, and by not being afraid to speak his mind about it.

RIP Niki.

He also gave us one of my favourite daft jokes.

"I missed the Grand Prix, who won?"

"Lauda"

"I said, who won the Grand Prix?"

"Lauda"

"I SAID, WHO WON THE F****** GRAND PRIX?"

"LAUDA, YOU F****** CLOTH-EARED T***"....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A brave man. To get back into a racing car after what he went through took courage.

Im sure Niki and James will be on the champagne. Another legend.

Niki won the first motor race I ever watched - the 1982 British Grand Prix. I can't say I was ever a fan because my heart went irretrievably to a certain Hampshireman driving the #35 Toleman that particular day, but motor racing will certainly be poorer for his loss.

No one can deny that Niki was one of the sport's true champions, and what I really loved about him was his straight talking style. He certainly didn't mince his words, neither when he was racing, nor later when working for Mercedes. And for anyone who loves the sport, his books are certainly worth reading.

Top Bottom