Rip Pele

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can just about remember Mexico '70 - mainly though the presence of those trading cards at school. Thinking about it, it's probably the oldest memory I can recall of knowing a sports star's name. Him and Gordon Banks.

His name has stayed synonymous with "great footballer" all that time, and not just to football enthusiasts, to all kinds of people. There aren't many whose names last like that. Bradman, Ali, Pele.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Not being born, being alive, or being old enough to remember when the person in question was 'doing their thing' isn't an excuse. I wasn't alive when Edmund Hillary became the first man to reach the summit of Everest, but I've certainly heard of him!;)

But, by the same token can you remember everyone of any importance, in the entirety of human history, before you were born?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
But, by the same token can you remember everyone of any importance, in the entirety of human history, before you were born?

Probably not, but I think those as well known worldwide like Pele, who don't spring to mind when mentioned will be there somewhere in my memory recall and it'll result in a "ah yes, I know who you mean now" moment. Yes, I can accept many in the world won't have heard of Pele, but they'll be the ones who don't have internet, media, education etc access.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Pele is the GOAT.

Forget Messi and Ronaldo. He is the only man to win the world cup three times. His scoring and assist stats are on another level. The Brazilian half of my family are in mourning.

RIP Edson Arantes do Nascimento

srj10

Guru
The late John Lambie, Partick Thistle manager, recalls the time when one of his players suffered a head knock during a game, the physio reported from the touch-line that the player was so badly concussed that 'he didnae ken who he was’, manager Lambie barked: "Tell him he's Pele and get him back on the park."

RIP Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Who??

Top Bottom