RIP Phil Hughes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
A sad day for cricket. RIP Phil Hughes.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I remember when Freddie Flintoff bounced him out in a torrid spell in an Ashes test over here a few years ago. It makes me feel a bit sick thinking back to it and the pleasure I took at it. Poor bugger.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Unbelievably awful news to wake up to this morning. Rest in Peace Phil Hughes. I too had a painful conversation with my young son today who loves and plays cricket. I focused on the rarity of the event with him. We often hear of someone saying, "A cm either side and he wouldn't be here now..." This wasn't the case here sadly.

Today will be the first time I have worn a black tie since CMJ died. My thoughts are with his family and Sean Abbott.

Awful news to read earlier this morning...and tragic for all concerned; parents of junior players aspiring to the sport must be worried, helmet designers...rule makers will do their best I hope. Sean Abbott, the bowler is going to live a life of hell, for sure.
Oddly enough, I was reminded of another event - Michael Watson v Chris Eubank. He lived on, to fight in different ways.
Cricket's fast men are regaled - any fan would relish Lillie and Thompson, Marshall, Daniel, Holding ('Whispering Death') Shoaib Akhtar and many more...all 'aiming to disorientate'...

And, look at 1:11 and 1:22 of this Mike Gatting / Malcom Marshall interview, to see some headlines.

RIP - and maybe the game will change.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Terrible news, very sad for the Hughes family. The chances of this happening are very slim indeed but if you've ever held and felt the weight of that ball you realise how potentially dangerous it can be.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The reports say he died of vertebral artery dissection. The ball hit him on teh back of the head and neck with such force that the artery split open, resulting in an uncontrolable bleed.
A totaly freak accident.

green1

Über Member
It is a very sad loss of a young and tallented life. It is also thankfully very rare. You do have to question whether or not the degree of risk compensation associated with facing fast bowlers wearing a helmet is to blame here.
You certainly notice it in league cricket. I'm 33 don't wear a helmet and I've never played an attacking shot against a short ball above chest height unless it's wide of me on either side. Yet the amount of guys who have grown up with helmets that I've seen being tonked on the head attempting high pull/hook shots when they should be taking evasive action is scary.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You certainly notice it in league cricket. I'm 33 don't wear a helmet and I've never played an attacking shot against a short ball above chest height unless it's wide of me on either side. Yet the amount of guys who have grown up with helmets that I've seen being tonked on the head attempting high pull/hook shots when they should be taking evasive action is scary.
That's the modern game too though - in limited overs, you can't afford to be stood at the crease giving the other side dot balls, certainly not at the top level.

Top Bottom