RIP Richard Adams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

One of my favourite books.

He was 96, though, so you can hardly blame 2016.

pplpilot

Guru
Front page of the Beeb news site at this very moment is awful. Fisher, Adams, Smith, Michael, scroll down a little and theres Parfitt.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
One of my favourite books, is Watership Down, even now. My copy is battered and stuck together with sellotape on the spine.
RIP Richard Adams, my favourite author during my school years.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Watership Down was my second favourite book as a boy. I read it eight times. The Hobbit was my absolute favourite. That he drew on his wartime experiences when writing it came as no surprise. I read the last couple of pages of Watership Down several months ago, which dealt with Hazel's death. It still made my eyes well up. It was not just an adventure story. He invented a religion and a folklore for the bunnies, rather like Christianity it has to be said, but still. When everyone seems too friendly but something seems wrong, it still makes me think of Cowslip's Warren.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Heard about his death on the 5:30 news on 6music, the first track afterwards was "Bright Eyes" in tribute. Loved Watership Down as a youngster.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Plague Dogs scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid.

If the roads were a little less sketchy I'd take a ride up Watership Down today. It's a fabulous area for cycling but not for the hill-phobic - the scarp-side climb up to the Down in particular is a bit of a bugger. I don't ever think I've seen a rabbit there either.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Plague Dogs scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid.

If the roads were a little less sketchy I'd take a ride up Watership Down today. It's a fabulous area for cycling but not for the hill-phobic - the scarp-side climb up to the Down in particular is a bit of a bugger. I don't ever think I've seen a rabbit there either.

I have cycled up there several times. There do not seem to be any rabbits up there. I once saw a massive rabbit run across my path cycling down the other side (General Woundwort?). I also saw a hare round abouts (or was it Blackberry?)

Top Bottom