RIP Richard Baker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
He was a true professional, not like some of the shabby lot we have now

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Heck,93 that's no age.:unsure:

But seriously though,i'll always remember him doing the BBC 'We interrupt this program to bring you some news' bulletin when the Aberfan disaster happened in 1966.

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I met him after a small classical concert, at the Swan theatre in Stratford on Avon many years ago, at which he was the compere. A true gent who had time for everyone. Didn't realise he was that old.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Didn't realise he was that old.

Nor me.......quite a shock. TBH when I heard that my first thought was "they must have that wrong".

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Baker was a proper news reader and came across as a nice person too. I miss his style of delivery, professional, neutral, that seems to have all but vanished nowadays.

Others in the same mould were: Kenneth Kendall, Robert Dougall, Mary Marquis, and Robert Kee.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Baker was a proper news reader and came across as a nice person too. I miss his style of delivery, professional, neutral, that seems to have all but vanished nowadays.

Others in the same mould were: Kenneth Kendall, Robert Dougall, Mary Marquis, and Robert Kee.

Kee, along with the likes of Alistair Stewart and Trevor McDonut, were among the first of the journalist newsreaders.

Baker, Dougall, Kendall and their ilk were announcers who happened to read the news.

That was what the broadcasters wanted at the time.

Baker said he didn't appear in front of the cameras to start with because the producers didn't want the sight of a talking head adding personality to the bulletin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom