RIP Sir Edmund Hillary...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm glad you started this thread - indeed he is.

Did you know that they did their planning and training in North Wales and stayed at the Pen-y-gwryd hotel at the foot of the Llanberis pass? It still has a lot of memorabilia on display there and the ceiling signed by the expedition members.

If you stay there and take the kids up Snowdon, when you get back they have a little ceremony where the kids get to have a drink from a cup used by one of the expedition members (I forget which one) and they get a badge and a little certificate.

It was and still is, the place where they hold their re-union meet every now and again. Last time I was there the owners told me it's a rarer event now than it was and sadly, there'll be one more missing from it.

papercorn2000

Crackle said:
I'm glad you started this thread - indeed he is.

Did you know that they did their planning and training in North Wales and stayed at the Pen-y-gwryd hotel at the foot of the Llanberis pass? It still has a lot of memorabilia on display there and the ceiling signed by the expedition members.

If you stay there and take the kids up Snowdon, when you get back they have a little ceremony where the kids get to have a drink from a cup used by one of the expedition members (I forget which one) and they get a badge and a little certificate.

It was and still is, the place where they hold their re-union meet every now and again. Last time I was there the owners told me it's a rarer event now than it was and sadly, there'll be one more missing from it.

I knew, 'cos my dad used to tell us every time we passed the place!

Sad news. A really top bloke who did a lot for his adopted country of Nepal.

U

User482

papercorn2000 said:
I knew, 'cos my dad used to tell us every time we passed the place!

Sad news. A really top bloke who did a lot for his adopted country of Nepal.

I saw a framed autograph from him & sherpa Tensing in a bar in Kathmandu!

Dave5N

Über Member
Near where I grew up, (inasmuch as I ever did) there's an estate named after the Everest Pioners. Hilary (Pete, please correct it if necessary)) and Tensing only got Little Closes; Mallory got a reasonabley long Crescent; Somervell a substantial Drive, and Miller a really long one.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The PYG in Snowdonia is reckoned amongst mountaineers to be the place where it all started.

I've barfed in that car park a few times, I can tell you.....

Chris James

Über Member
Dave5N said:
Miller a really long one.

Who was Miller?

On 'Mountain' by Griff Rhys Jones they had a bit on the 1953 Everest party and them using Tryfan as training (although I am unsure what use that rocky mountain would be for the long snow plod via the South Col ). GRJ went for a scramble with George Band, who is still looking sprightly.

The best bit was when George produced the wind suit he had used on Everest and apologised for the marks as he had later used it as overalls to paint his house!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Dave5N said:
Near where I grew up, (inasmuch as I ever did) there's an estate named after the Everest Pioners. Hilary (Pete, please correct it if necessary)) and Tensing only got Little Closes; Mallory got a reasonabley long Crescent; Somervell a substantial Drive, and Miller a really long one.

And not one mention of Ted Moult!:biggrin:

Seriously tho, RIP Hillary.
Wonder what this will do for sales of Kendal Mint Cake?

T x

Pete

Dave5N said:
(Pete, please correct it if necessary)
Seems it was sarcasm after all :biggrin: ...

Top Bottom