RIP - Ursula K Le Guin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Sad news indeed. The Earthsea and Hainish series are brilliant.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I haven't read her books, sounds like she was a trailblazer in a male dominated sci fi/fantasy genre.

I thought this article, about how she refused to blurb an all male compilation book was interesting.

22174671979_459bfee57e_o.jpg

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2015/10/gentlemen-i-just-dont-belong-here.html

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I thought The Left Hand of Darkness was rather good. The science was pretty good; it was not just fantasy. She invented a mythology for her people. The only other book I've read that done so well was Watership Down. It was rather political, a bit like a John Le Carre book on another planet. Apart from being female, I think Le Guin was an unusual sci-fi writer for the time for being a bit of a lefty. I know Kurt Vonnegut was also rather a lefty, but most sci-fi books I read were largely about eugenics or inter world conflict.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I loved the Earthsea trilogy as a kid.

I read it (them) as an adult, and thought it pretty good and stood up well. The narnia books are great when you're 11 but painful as an adult. I doubt I'd have the patience for re-reading lotr as an adult, though did enjoy the radio series. Pullman's stuff is a good read as an adult though.

Back to Ursula le Guin - I did read a few of her sci books too back in the day. Definitely better writing than the bulk of genre writers

Last edited:
Top Bottom