RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

Cunobelin said:
I did some research a while ago (looking for work bikes) when I cama cross two items that are of interest:
Swiss Army Cyclists on Youtube

There is also superb page on cycles in military use (although with US Bias) here

Of particular interest is the comparison table showing that a "cycle soldier" can carry an additional 25 lbs in equipment, travel a further 50 miles at thre times the speed and on the same rations!
Meanwhile back on topic....

It is nice to see that this has provoked such a response..... these finds do exactly what they are supposed to do provoke interest and help us remember the person behind the gravestone.

I rather hope he's underneath it, the thought of him being behind it is frankly quite spooky!:biggrin:

Mortiroloboy

surfgurl said:
Thank you for this info on recruiting. I have been puzzled about his background since I found out about him. I have done a bit of research and think he was born in Kings Norton, now part of Birmingham and was a bit bemused as to how he could have ended up in a graveyard in Somerset with no local connection. There was a cyclist corp attached to the Devonshire Regiment, so I guess he could have been recruited nationally to them.

If we assume he may have been with the Devonshire Regiment, I think from memory, they didn't ship out to the Western Front until later in 1915. From my limited reading they used the Army Cyclist Corps to send messages and patrol the coast in case of invasion. So it may well be that he was doing that.
I'll keep delving and find out some more info about him and the Army Cyclist Corps.

My great Uncle lost a leg during the battle of the Somme, when he was returned to England to recuperate , he was sent to a Hospital in Lancashire, his home town (and mine) is Lewes in East Sussex, so I expect he went to Lancs as that was where the most appropriate location was for his particular type of wound.

The returning wounded did tend to be put all over the place and not necessarily near to home, which may explain why Pte DUDLEY ended up in lovely Burnham-on-Sea ( I will be be holidaying at Brean shortly, after a week on Mallorca, and may well be in Burnham at some stage, which Church Yard is he in?)

I don't know if you are already aware, but his headstone is a standard Commonwealth War Graves Commission style. I suppose he could have had personal reasons for wishing to be buried there, as an alternative to being buried in one of the UK's CWGC cemeteries, are there any other CWGC
headstones locally?

Brookwood Military Cemetery and monument to those with no known grave is very near to where I work, in fact I have a key to the gate ( following a spate of drug abuse going on in the cemetery there are some real low life people about) I often have a quite moment of reflection when I'm around on patrol. For a military historian it is a fascinating place, with graves from ALL the combative nations, including German and Italian, Russian and American, plus some other European nations.

porteous

Veteran
When I joined the army there were still army bicycles about. They weighed about a ton and would do about 10mph as long as you had a hill you could go down. They were, however, soldierproof. Baby officers were still tought bicycle drill at Sandhurst (I remember one poor sod who had no balance being made to push his everywhere!).

The military use of cycles had begun in the mid 1880s when some of the old Volunteer Battalions had set up Cyclist Sections whose brief was to defend our island should invaders strike - a kind of Home Guard on wheels. However, their role changed in the Boer War, when cyclists effectively carried out a number of vital tasks and by the start of the 20th century there were some 8000 cyclists in various Companies and Volunteer sections.

In 1908, major reorganization abolished local Militia and brought the Yeomanry and these Volunteer groups together under the banner of the Territorial Force. At this point, ten Territorial Cyclist Battalions were incorporated into the Army Cyclist Corps:.

THE ARMY CYCLIST CORPS
7th (Cyclist) Battalion Devonshire Regiment
Kent Cyclist Battalion (Formerly known as "West Kent")

Essex and Suffolk Cyclist Battalion
Highland Cyclist Battalion
7th (Cyclist) Battalion The Welsh Regiment
10th (Cyclist) Battalion The Royal Scots (Lothian) Regiment
25th (County of London) Cyclist Battalion The London Regiment
6th (Cyclist) Battalion Norfolk Regiment
Northern Cyclist Battalion
5th (Cyclist) Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment

The machine was designed to enable the rider to travel as a completely self-contained one-man fighting unit. Everything he needed could be stowed away on the machine from his rifle to his cape and ground sheet. A small kitbag carried behind the seat held rations and personal items and an emergency toolkit hung from the crossbar. On tarmac roads, in spite of its heavy iron frame, the machine provided fairly fast and effective transport but on rough terrain and in muddy conditions, riders often had to abandon their machines.
"Cycle Artificers" were used to maintain the machines. These were members of each Battalion who were specially trained as mechanics.

By the end of 1915 the advent of trench warfare rather blunted the use of bicycles and most cyclist Bns were redeployed as infantry re-inforcements.

None of the territorial units saw service overseas in the first months of the war, all being used for coastal defence work inside the United Kingdom. In 1915, the Army Cyclist Corps was founded to encompass these battalions; it later extended to cover a dozen more battalions raised from second-line yeomanry regiments which had been converted to cyclists.
Most units of the Corps served out their time in the United Kingdom, providing replacement drafts to infantry battalions; some were converted back to conventional infantry and saw active service, such as the Kent Cyclists (on the North-West Frontier) or the 10th Royal Scots (in northern Russia).
Formed units of the Corps were not sent overseas; this was done in small groups of men, with the divisions possessing individual cyclist companies and composite battalions later formed at corps level. These were rarely committed to action, rather being held back in preparation for the resumption of "normal" mobile warfare. On the occasions that cyclists were employed in combat, they were generally found to be ineffective; the terrain on the Western Front was unsuitable for them, causing the bicycles to be discarded early on and the unit proceeding as normal infantry.
Following the war, cyclists were perceived to have little value, and the Corps was disbanded in 1919; by 1922 all remaining Territorial cyclist battalions had been converted back to conventional units.

A S Dudley did not serve overseas. ( The poor man hardly had time) as there is no medal card in the National Archive for him and all soldiesr serving overseas qualifies foe medals of some sort. He would have been one of the volunteers called for in 1915, sometimes called Kitcheners New Army and probably died of illness or accident. There are 18 military burials from both world wars at Burnham on Sea including Alan Martin, a "Boy 2nd Class" in the Royal Navy, who died aged 16 in 1915; and Pte Mark Wills of the Home Guard. I think there were two "auxiliary hospitals" at Burnham on sea in WW1, at buildings called Hart House and The Gables. It is likely that most of the WW1 Burials are from those hospitals, where people were sent for long term recovery. Perhaps someone from Burnham knows more?

There are three A Dudley's recorded in the National Archive WW1 Army records, although only about 40% of the records are still in existence. If anyone has a subscription to the Ancestry web site you could possibly check.

porteous

Veteran
PS I know the spelling is all over the place and the quicker among you will realise I have pinched the information in italics from a number of sources. Mea Culpa

porteous

Veteran
There are two military records for casualties named A Dudley in WW1 from Kings Norton. Both were called Arthur although without visiting Kew I cannot be sure. It would be nice to know all of his name.

gbb

Legendary Member
Sorry to go slightly OT, but i saw this memorial in Uruguay....i did wonder if the guy had been killed in the particular town, or whether he maybe came from there....

DSC01605.jpg

Top Bottom