Rise of cycle cams debated on This Morning......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
Although I no longer use a cam.I got some real tasty incidents including the a few at Stratford although none were ever reported to the police.One was even a cyclist cutting in front of me at Fenchurch Street.Crossing the same way as that land rover did at Stratford 5 years ago.Almost inevitable collision in both cases was somehow avoided.Yes I know im not perfect so im always working on upping my game.Yes I do stop at traffic lights.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a self-proving bias. Many have cams but don't upload. Most likely in case of incident rather than creating incidents. The self righteous are those that post incessantly.

The view of those with cameras is distorted by those who post the most. The majority (my guess) who just record and don't antagonise aren't seen.

Lonestar

Veteran
It's a bit of a self-proving bias. Many have cams but don't upload. Most likely in case of incident rather than creating incidents. The self righteous are those that post incessantly.

The view of those with cameras is distorted by those who post the most. The majority (my guess) who just record and don't antagonise aren't seen.

Another thing I did was look at the mistakes or stupid things I did.Poor positioning,things like that.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Will there be lynchings?
Will they be filmed?

lynching-of-Thomas-Shipp-Abram-Smith-in-Indiana_1930--1024x544.jpg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Probably already said either here or on Road.CC but my view is that if you are actively looking for problems ( as seems the case in some i`ve seen ) you are not 100% concentrating on what you are doing on the bike. There is an infamous cam cyclist up here who is I would say an activist more than anything. His twitter feed is just a total moan and groan about everything and all things bike related or not. I think he is trying to do the right thing but for me its all descended into self righteousness and become boring. If I was to film every misdemeanor on my commute I`d be very busy on a computer editing it all. I think they are good for evidence if something was to happen be it to yourself or something between two other vehicles etc ? However for me its just more shizzle to bloody charge up, I have enough already on the bike!!

subaqua

What’s the point
the problem is , that the crazies ( on both "sides" of the argument about cams)are distorting the perception and undermining the good that could come from them.

The crazies on cams are exceptions. The cam does serve people who might end up in a right legal mess and with no justice served. It will part and parcel of live eventually. I don't have one and I don't intend to have one as I enjoy my rides but I also understand why others have it.,

Tynan

Veteran
idiots with bad road skills starting arguments and acting liker nobs?

critical mass last Friday, I had the joy of finding that lot in front of me as I left Camden on the way home, drinking, smoking dope, weaving all over both sides of the road, riding and filming, groups abusing drivers with the temerity to toot their horn when faced with said riding on the wrong side of the road or through red lights. Lots of people on Boris bikes that gave every impression of doing it for a laugh and not riding otherwise

I was very sick of it by the time they all sheered away from the horror of getting any nearer to Finsbury Park, so much so that I mentioned it to two separate black cabbies who heartedly agreed with me, the only people that seemed to find it amusing were tourists that had no idea what was going on

I got no sense of any sort of higher purpose that people out for a laugh after a few pints

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
Hello. Lorries, cars and buses don't start confrontations then go squealing to the police when they come off worse.
But drivers of some of them do start confrontations with cyclists, safe in the cowardly knowledge that they can't come off worse.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I've been surprised by the amount of motorcycles I've seen with them on their helmets of late (it's almost odd to see one without) and the car I've borrowed while the Peugeot is sorted has one suckered up on to the windscreen that I presume just records when you turn the motor on (it turns on anyway) I'll talk to my mate about it because I'd considered sticking one in the Peugeot to see what the 20 year olds driving was like when I wasn't in the car...

Booyaa

Veteran
I see a guy cycling through Birmingham most mornings with a cam on him helmet. I've no idea if he posts up loads of "incidents" or not but find it funny that I have only ever seen him cycle on a pavement and never on the road.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I think you may find that Heisenberg's uncertainty principal would kick in there.

I think they'd forget it was there within the first 5 minutes judging by their inability to remember to complete anything they start.

Recent conversation
Me "why is the postbox full of car polishing stuff?"
20 "haven't put it away yet"
Me "are you doing more polishing?"
20 "no"

It'd only been there 2 days.

Also, they took 2 hours to spot it in the Skoda I'm driving at the moment and it was suckered to the windscreen right in front of them.

Top Bottom