RLJ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A few days ago I almost became a RLJ, as I was cycling to work I came up to some traffic lights they changed to red as I went over the ASL I stopped and pulled myself back into the ASL.
Would you class me as a RLJ

just jim

Since it's Christmas....no.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Raleigh Man said:
Good I was starting to feel guilty, but I am glad I did stop as I don't want to become a RLJ and give us a bad name.

Where you wearing a helmet and high viz ? :evil:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You're not really giving us a bad name by not doing something that millions of cars do every single day :evil:.

Arch

Married to Night Train
mr_cellophane said:
Yes, as they must have been amber before you got to the ASL and as we all know amber also means stop.

Quite true, but as it's Christmas and Raleigh Man did stop, which is more than many people (on bikes or cars) do, let's be generous....

Arch

Married to Night Train
User3143 said:
Not really, you could have actually gone and not RLJed

No. If the light goes amber, and you can stop safely (IE, there isn't someone right up your back, or you can stop without skidding) then you must stop. Read the Highway Code.

If the light went red just after someone crossed the line, then it must have been amber for a few seconds, therefore, they should have stopped at the line.

It's not that difficult, but a lot of people seem to have trouble with the concept.

Arch

Married to Night Train
User3143 said:
should have and could have are two different things.

Not if you say he 'could have actually gone and not RLJed". Yes, he could have gone, but that would have been RLJing - since it's also illegal to cross the line if the light is amber.

Stop being a prat, you know perfectly well what's right and what isn't, and if you choose to disobey the rules, don't go telling other people they can as well.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Arch said:
No. If the light goes amber, and you can stop safely (IE, there isn't someone right up your back, or you can stop without skidding) then you must stop. Read the Highway Code.

Just to quote Arch again for you Lee.

You should/could read peoples posts a little better.:angry:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Lee just to refresh your memory, here's what the highway code says about traffic lights with regards the OP.

'RED means ‘Stop’. Wait behind the stop line on the carriageway.
RED AND AMBER(phase prior to RED)also means ‘Stop’. Do not pass through or start until GREEN shows.'

So to travel on thru a light just turning red would be an RLJ.

As to being committed and unable to stop safely at an amber/red light, a situation we have all faced, Arch had actually said the following in post 14;

'If the light goes amber, and you can stop safely (IE, there isn't someone right up your back, or you can stop without skidding) then you must stop.'

But then you say this in post 17;

'Not if you cannot stop safely. Have you read the highway code? When I said earlier this is what I actually meant in respect of whether you are able to stop.'

It's fairly obvious that you didn't really read the posts because you missed a point that you should have actually agreed upon.:whistle:

Anytime you feel you want to add anything that might actually be helpful, please feel free.

Top Bottom