RLJ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.

You MUST NOT move forward over the white line when the red light is showing. Only go forward when the traffic lights are green if there is room for you to clear the junction safely or you are taking up a position to turn right. If the traffic lights are not working, treat the situation as you would an unmarked junction and proceed with great care.

Seems pretty clear to me User3143 and that's without getting too worked up about RLJing that many others on this forum do.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
tdr1nka said:
Lee just to refresh your memory, here's what the highway code says about traffic lights with regards the OP.

'RED means ‘Stop’. Wait behind the stop line on the carriageway.
RED AND AMBER(phase prior to RED)also means ‘Stop’. Do not pass through or start until GREEN shows.'

Not on the lights round here

Perhaps we should start a thread
Is it OK to ALJ

2vtta2p.jpg

ALJ,it's not actually jumping though if you are stopping.IMHO.

Moose

tdr1nka said:
Lee just to refresh your memory, here's what the highway code says about traffic lights with regards the OP.

'RED means ‘Stop’. Wait behind the stop line on the carriageway.
RED AND AMBER(phase prior to RED)also means ‘Stop’. Do not pass through or start until GREEN shows.'

tdr1nka - I'm sure you meant to say the phase prior to red is amber on it's own. Either way, amber still means stop, as already posted before by others. I'm just being pedantic

Edit: sorry, too slow posting. Mr Cellophane has pointed it out already

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Anyway, enough of the p1ss1ng contest between you guys and Lee. Back to the OP.

I think that technically he broke the law by going over the stop line, but easily stayed within the spirit of the law. I'd class going over the stop line as RLJing, but some others felt in the past that RLJing is only actually going across the junction on red, not just transgressing on the stop line.

Remember that time I wound you up on this one Hackers?

Guilty as charged.:whistle:

Sprocket Dog

BentMikey said:
Anyway, enough of the p1ss1ng contest between you guys and Lee. Back to the OP.

I think that technically he broke the law by going over the stop line, but easily stayed within the spirit of the law. I'd class going over the stop line as RLJing, but some others felt in the past that RLJing is only actually going across the junction on red, not just transgressing on the stop line.

That's my viewpoint too - the spirit of the law. IMO, traffic lights are there to control a junction and as long as you don't enter the junction on an amder or red light, then technically no harm done. There are too many drivers that think because they've crossed the stop line (legally on a green - slow moving, nose-to-tail traffic) they must keep proceeding on to the junction even though 'their' lights have changed to red.Traffic entering Trafalgar Square from The Mall is a prime example.:ohmy:

Top Bottom