RLJer hits pedestrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
On Threadneedle Street this evening, I was stopped at a red light. It had been red for about 20 seconds, with pedestrians crossing, when a cyclist coming from behind me went straight through the red light at what I would estimate was 15-20mph and smacked hard into the side of a pedestrian crossing the road.

Both pedestrian and cyclist went down. The cyclist got up straight away, the pedestrian stayed down.

Fortunately, there happened to be an ambulance coming down Old Broad Street almost immediately afterwards, so one of the other pedestrians flagged them down and I left them to it (after leaving a business card with them to give to the pedestrian in case I'm needed as a witness).

As the ambulance was there almost instantly, I didn't need to do an assessment of the pedestrian, but it was a very hard impact, so I'd be surprised if there are no broken bones.

If I'm needed as a witness, I certainly won't hesitate to give evidence in the case: the cyclist was a complete and utter tw@t.

Crankarm

Guru
Oh no!!!! Good on you for being a witness for the ped. What did the cyclist do? Ride off or actually remain to face the music? I hope both were ok, although from your account, the ped may have been the more seriously injured. I hope the cyclist is insured from the peds POV.

bauldbairn

Hope the pedestrian is ok! There's no excuse for not stopping at a red light / zebra crossing - they give us all(cyclists) a bad name. :smile:

You were right to leave your details as a witness.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Indeed. IMO that should get a short custodial sentence as a warning and deterrent. Well done for leaving your card. No doubt the local press will be interested in this. Perhaps it would do some good if you contacted them with your version of events and so point out the view of most cyclists?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My daughter got T-boned by a pregnant RLJ-er when crossing on a ped/cycle crossing. Badly bruised, mashed front wheel but the amazing thing was that the pregnant woman had no working brakes which was her explanation for not stopping!
That was at Threadneedle Street too!

Arch

Married to Night Train
rich p said:
My daughter got T-boned by a pregnant RLJ-er when crossing on a ped/cycle crossing. Badly bruised, mashed front wheel but the amazing thing was that the pregnant woman had no working brakes which was her explanation for not stopping!
That was at Threadneedle Street too!

Well, I suppose no brakes would be a reasonable explanation for not stopping. Now, the explanation for not having any brakes....:biggrin:

I too hope the book gets thrown at the RLJer, and I hope it's one of those old fashioned leather bound with pointy metal corners type of book.;)

Commit the crime, take the punishment!

Well done, Ben: the decent and right thing to do! ;)

Hope the ped's OK.

Why the outrage?...I see it's common behaviour in London.

...and no i don't agree with or do it,but we all seem to get tarred with the same brush due to the mindless minority.

All the best for the pedestrian's quick recovery. Do we have an update, anyone?

As for the cyclist POB, maybe the condemnation from this body of committed cyclists, and others of the cycling communities elsewhere, will be retribution enough. I don't know. I just hope he or she is reading this. ;)

RLJing seems to be majority behaviour in certain parts of London and other towns and cities, but not in others. I often see this behaviour in Brighton, but not in my much smaller home town. I wonder why. So often, I'm waiting at the lights, it's clear ahead, and I see this youngster charging up behind, and I think, this one's got to be a RLJer, and as often as not they don't! They just meekly come to a standstill alongside. Is it my presence which they find intimidating? :blush:

Top Bottom