RLJer hits pedestrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Cyclist was a bloke. He didn't go anywhere, and I think was actually quite shocked when he saw what he'd done. Hopefully he won't do it again.

I haven't yet been contacted by anyone, will update the thread if I am.

Dayvo said:
The outrage is understandable.

Common behaviour doesn't mean it has to be acceptable!

Never said it was.Nobody attempts to stop it though and then there's the outrage when it's done quite blatently.(almost like a p155 take)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I firmly believe that the police should have the powers to present of RLJ-ers with the choice of tyres slashed on the spot plus a 50 quid fine or impose a 500 quid fine. They could then man a few junctions in plain clothes and would so have a big impact.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
hackbike 666 said:
Nobody attempts to stop it though

Now there you're wrong. The City Police in particular (whose patch covers Threadneedle St) regularly have patrols fining RLJs - and the outrage flowing in certain quarters (just search this forum) is frankly astonishing.

This story highlights exactly why the City Police are right.

Rhythm Thief said:
It's a fair cop, guv'nor.;)

A good looking female Police Officer now then?

Now this "Fair Cop" dates me!

Police_Woman.jpg

More seriously......

What everyone forgets with these issues is how much trust you place in other road users. Without this trust the road system does not function.

When you approach a junction you trust that other road user to stop at the line. When you are assessing a limited view junction you trust that the vehicle approaching will be doing the speed limit and not 30mph above it. When you are overtaken you trust thatthe other road user willgive room and not run into the back of you.

Or in this case the assumption is that you have priority as you cross and that the vehicles will stop at the red light.

It is a breach of this trust that gives rise to the "outrage" and quite rightly so.

srw said:
Now there you're wrong. The City Police in particular (whose patch covers Threadneedle St) regularly have patrols fining RLJs - and the outrage flowing in certain quarters (just search this forum) is frankly astonishing.

This story highlights exactly why the City Police are right.

Oh well I must be a good boy as I haven't noticed them.:sad:

Top Bottom