1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RLJers

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by ransos, 11 Oct 2007.

1. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

Now, rants about the merits or not of RLJing have probably been done to death. But what I really don't get is that in Bristol, they're almost all really slow cyclists - I always end up passing them again a short distance down the road. I could understand RLJing if you were in a real hurry (not that it would be right in my view), but as these people obviously aren't, why take the risk?

2. Cab

Cab New Member

Its amazing, isn't it? You're waiting at the lights, idiot comes past you and straight through the red light, 30 yards later he's in your way. You wouldn't mind him being there if you were going along the road and came across him out of the blue; fairs fair, he's just another cyclist. But somehow it is much worse when you have to overtake the same muppet six times...

3. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

The answer is here:
    http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/why_cyclists.htm

4. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

The physics make perfect sense, but a short slow commute across town isn't enough to work up a sweat, regardless of whether you stop or not. Sod all plus 25% extra effort is still very nearly sod all.

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

That misses the point, humans are programmed to conserve energy in their movements, much like on the Serengeti you will see a Cheetah abandon its chase if it looks like it will take too much energy for the size of the meal, this is an automated response not a conscious one.

6. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

You expect me to read that? Can't you give us a one paragraph summary?

7. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Better than that, here's a one-liner mate:

"It takes more energy to stop and accelerate than to keep going which folk cannae be arsed to do"

8. NickM

NickM Über Member

Ah, but how is it automated? When I worked in an ivory tower I was interested in this very subject. It appears likely that it is heat storage which is the key. Muscles are only ~25% efficient at turning energy into movement, so generate an awful lot of heat; and brains don't like it. So when the cheetah approaches its heat storage limit, a neurotransmitter (5-HT, otherwise known as serotonin) is released in the brain which increases the sensation of effort, causing the cheetah to slow down. Isn't evolution clever?

If it happens in cheetahs, it probably happens in humans too. So if you want to go fast on a warm day, don't let your head get too hot!

Oh, and don't worry too much about RLJing - it's no big deal, and motorists hate us anyway.

9. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

Is that why the RLJers fail to turn their heads to see if there's any oncoming traffic?

10. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

In Bristol I do get all hot and sweaty going across town - too many hills no matter which way I go ... and I admit to going through 2 sets of red lights :blush: - at Zetland Road where there is a Green cycle light to get you onto the Gloucester Road and before you can clear the junction you are met by the ped crossing light on the other side of the junction which automatically changes whether there are any pedestrians on it or not ... if I go through on red I then get to the Arches before most of the traffic rather than having to do the narrow bit with the bus stops with cars. The other red that I go through is in the centre - on the bus section opposite the Hippodrome, I've tried waiting for that one to change and it won't so I go through unless there are pedestrians, also it seems to be permantly red waiting for a trigger for green by a bus.

Otherwise I wait at red lights, sometimes back in the traffic, sometimes filtering to the front - depends on the junction and whats between it and me.

11. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

12. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

I go through the bus lane near the Hippodrome you describe twice a day - and it changes for me! Sometimes though you have to wait because of traffic going straight on to Baldwin St from Prince St.

As an aside - the sensors in the road are designed to spot bikes and change the lights, but according to the highways dept at the council, a carbon fibre frame can confuse them due to the lack of "normal" metal to detect.

13. summerdays

The lights immediately after the Baldwin St junction (I wait at those ones) before you get to the old Bristol and West Building soc - and no I don't have a carbon frame (mmh that would be nice) - I have seen other cyclists give up after waiting at that set of lights too, thats what made me think that they weren't adjusted correctly as a guy sat at them the whole time I was at the Baldwin St junction waiting for it to go green, and he went just as I was approaching them.

(This was back in Sept when I was working in Bedminster, although I will be back going through there again in November).

14. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

You're quite right - I was thinking of the ones further down. I always cycle across the middle of St. Augustines Parade instead - supposedly two NCN cycle paths go across there, but you'd struggle to spot them.

15. summerdays

How do you get onto there :angry:... I would be coming from St James Barton roundabout, aiming to get to Prince Street Bridge ..., I must admit, I was wondering if it was possible to go through the central area with the fountains to avoid that section.

I mean it doesn't make sense to have lights immediately after the other set of lights but not timed to have them both green for the buses to go through (as its only buses, bikes and possibly taxi's that can go that way):blush:.